contest Begin! Grillin' & Chillin' Independence Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Grillin':
Outdoor cooking, grilling or smoking, no electric.

Chillin':
Beverage to go with the dish/platter/feast.

Theme: Festive and/or Fireworks

Side dishes, vegetarian entries, and multiple meats all welcome. Just show us how you Throwdown on the 4th!

Name your entry!

Must be spicy (of course).

Proof of Life: .76 in teaser or finished pic.

To enter:

Post your festive entry with at least one finished/plated photo, name, ingredients, and cooking methods all in one post before Monday at 6:30 pm ET. One teaser pic must display proof of life.

I live in Miami, Florida, but I have spent many summers in New England. The 4th of July, to me, means fire roasted clams, refreshing summertime drinks, and cool dips in the pool.
I'm gonna heat this one up a bit.
Watch out! Notice the 76 cents on the butter...
P1030824.jpg

Let the heat begin!!!!

P1030831.jpg

Nice start FryDad4!

it's all looking good except the BuschLite. Why would you have that when there is a lovely HoneyMoon on deck?

just kidding, ya know~~

is this your first rodeo?
I feature the worlds finest canned beers, busch light, keystone, pabst, etc.. in each of my posts.

Glad you noticed! It was amazing. Wait till you see the rest.

Someone stole your crown too I see....wtf!!!! What happened? Are you as upset as I am? You won that crown fair and square, and someone took it.
Oh well. Good luck!

FRYDAD4: Unkie Sam's Drunkie Clams.

So its a new england day down here in SoFlo. Got some fresh live clams from the market. Scrubbed em up good and clean. Ready for the fire.
The clams were smoke-roasted on hot coals, hickory chunks, and covered with a soaked cheesecloth until they opened up. Meanwhile, I whipped up a Scotch Bonnet-Lemon Butter dipping sauce.
As this was happening, I scooped out a watermelon so I could make my drink.

The drink is a watermelon-Summer Ale cooler. I took Honey Moon summer ale, with it's sweet clover honey notes, and floated it on top of some freshly juiced watermelon. This is a very refreshing summertime cooler. The ladies will love it. The dudes will love it too, but they will be afraid to say so. I have no fear, so I say it was delicious.
The sweet smokey notes from the clams went well with the spicy butter. Washing it down with the frosty watermeloney cooler made for a perfect Miami-New England evening.

Enjoy.
Roasting under the wet cloth....
P1030832.jpg

They are ready when they open.
P1030836.jpg

And the finished product. I served it in the pool. Everything tastes better there.
P1030846.jpg

P1030837.jpg

Good luck to all.

Aw, MAN! clams and coolers in the pool!

I hate to follow that, but someone has to!

Here's my teaser picture. It doesn't have all the ingredients, but most, and if you can identify that big ugly brown thing in the middle, that will give you a clue as to the main ingredient.

july10tdown1.jpg

and given the level of culinary and gardening expertise around here, I'd guess it'll take about 38 seconds for someone to figure out what it is. :lol:

Is that bigfoot's penis or yuca?

I have never tasted bigfoot's penis, but it sounds delicious.

Hope your post does Bigfoot's penis justice, SL!

That sure is NOT yucca. And Bigfoot's penis looks nothing like that...

Is that ginger root? Not in East WA, no way! Has to be one mangled up crab leg with free kelp attached.

Nice grub FD. Who's your photographer?

[SumBits sounds like a real bada$$]

Looks more like ginseng than ginger but still... not sure!

Good mystery SL.

VERY good mystery SL. Those are NOT your run-of-the-mill Slim Jims you have there in the background.

If I had a beard, I'd be stroking it like a wizard who is not perplexed, but intrigued.

well, TB got the root, HORSERADISH freshly dug from the garden! (sorry FD4, you'll have to tell us about THAT entree after you experience it..;) )and the peppers are from 2 Mystery plants so I have no idea if they are SlimJims or ??? We'll taste them before using them and will hopefully be able to get a close guesstimate of what they may be..

Chops to Texas Blues!!

I have some other pics of the horseradish to post tomorrow. The Cooking day is tomorrow also, so.........

still did not get the main entree yet.........yes, horseradish..... Not shrimp.......

just for fun, here's a close-up~

horserad1.jpg

Already feel the spirit of '76 in those clams frydad4, thought about doing oysters but not an "R" month. Salsalady very horseradish pulled from the yard can't wait to see the spicy concoction you come up with. Happy independence weekend, fire up the smokers going to be a great throwdown! :D

Okay the mystery to me is whats with the change? And salsalady, that looks like a great beer what is it?

+1 for fresh home grown horse horseradish

+1 for presentation frydad

this is going to be fun.

also have lavender, chives and mint...all from the yard....OH YEA! and T-BONE!....all going into the dishes...

"Can you say "dutch oven"? I knew you could!"

:)

Okay the mystery to me is whats with the change? And salsalady, that looks like a great beer what is it?

+1 for fresh home grown horse horseradish

+1 for presentation frydad

this is going to be fun.

The money is the "proof of life" that's in the first post.

The beer is a local microbrew, I'll post more tomorrow and definitely +1 on the clams! would love to chow on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back