beer Begin! : June TD - Kolsch

Alright here is the quick review from what I remember from both our notes

we had a varying score of 1 to 2 points on 2 of them, and 3 points on the third

TC won

Ozzy was 2nd

Grant was 3rd

TC made the most drinkable and spot on the exact style guidelines of a kolsch

Ozzy made the weirdest and not anywhere close to true to style Kolsch with what I think was Sorachi Ace, but Ben loved it which brought it up and it hit almost all of the notes except the noble hop character

Grant's was super dark for the style, but the best clarity out of all of them, like a filtered pilsner through a 2 micro kind of deal which gave me a giant beer boner, however was the most bitter and cloying on the tongue, and the weakest aroma, but a great flavor, just lacking in that flavor, wish it would have been more potent, but it was so suble it was hard to pick out

wheebz said:
Grant's was super dark for the style, but the best clarity out of all of them, like a filtered pilsner through a 2 micro kind of deal which gave me a giant beer boner, however was the most bitter and cloying on the tongue, and the weakest aroma, but a great flavor, just lacking in that flavor, wish it would have been more potent, but it was so suble it was hard to pick out
The darkness was predicted in advance by the malt, so I'm letting myself off the hook on that aspect, but I agree in full that it doesn't taste as good as it looks ... at all.

There was a 7-10 day period between 4-5 weeks after I brewed it where the Hull Melon was decreased, but not yet gone - where I liked it a little bit. But having brewed it real early, and sent late, it faded the rest of the way out and exists as a few gallons of lackluster beer at present.

Doesn't have much head either, but it's a single malt, so perhaps unsurprisingly so ...

:cheers:

Looking forward to upcoming beers, with proper starters, improved fermenter geometry, and more accurate temp control!

see and that was the problem

i need to ask from now on that you post the recipes and techniques after the fact

I knew what to expect from each one before hand

Ben did not, which is why he scored grants beer 3 points above what I did not knowing the backstory

in fact, he actually scored 3.5 points more, but i let him do it

I was biased, which I shouldnt be, thats bad on me as a judge

we already agreed after this tasting that the beers would be poured by someone else, so we have no idea whose was whose before we cracked the bottles

we will have a 4th party pour, and a third judge to make it more in line with actual BJCP judging, but we will not resume this until October because its not fair to everyone sending beers from hot weather to here
the past 3 beers have been a teaching factor for me as well, because usually I am judging unbiased beers from random contestants 

so now that we have a baseline, we will fix it for future brewdowns

it's all good, but yeah - we'd discussed the Lovibond of the Kolsch malt being higher than US BJCP style guidelines, however, being typical of actual commercial examples of the style in Cologne for example - where the malt hails from ...

No biggie- not a great beer in my opinion ... at all.

Excited for upcoming batches, having corrected a pretty EPIC fault in every batch I've made to date (since the advent of canned wort) ...

i honestly think that is one of the reasons why this was a bad event for you

knowing your fault, that would have corrected a lot of the flavors of the beer, minus the color of course, and definitely had a huge effect on the last one as well, which makes sense to me now that I know what happened

color wise, well we talked about that, but it was dark, actually 2 EBC's past the range as per our color chart at the brewery

but Ozzy's was short by a bunch, I actually remember in my notes saying "bitch did you send me a cider!!!" because of the color

Yeah ... been hobbling myself for quite a number of batches ... kind of excited, actually.
The *only* batch I dry pitched was the Mild ... hehe, the one you like ...

wheebz said:
knowing your fault, that would have corrected a lot of the flavors of the beer, minus the color of course, and definitely had a huge effect on the last one as well, which makes sense to me now that I know what happened.
I had my last bottle of the golden (except one put aside for 1010) a couple nights ago, and it had zero coffee, szechuan, wood character, or really anything except hot alcohol ...

I posit the one shipped to you tasted similar for it's journey being hot. At the time you had it, my always-cold bottles still had 55-65% of their peak coffee/cacao flavor ... and now have 0-5% ... like ... it gawn! ... bu-bye.

I had *NO IDEA* I was doing anything wrong, let alone something pretty fucking catastrophic ... I mean, that's a bad, bad error ...

When the tripel proceeded so slowly, I looked at every single picture, every temperature, every weight, every grind size, every receipt for every item ... everything ... I looked for Lintners, for DP, just anything and everything ... and then I saw it on Midwest's page for the canned wort, and I was like woot, there 'tis - fffuuuu me ...

I had a bunch of problems with mine. To start with, my water chemistry for such a light beer. Then I had a figure in my Beersmith jacked up causing it to be super low on my numbers. Then I didn't set the temp right on my temp controller fermenting it 8 degrees higher than intended.

Having never used the Sorachi too, I had no idea how potent it was lol. Even though it wasn't very Kolsch like I did enjoy it somewhat. I'm looking forward to trying more lighter batches now knowing about my water.

Wow. Just saw this on the ferry. Pretty cool. I was kinda down after the last one being infected. I brewed this again this past weekend and will be kegging it for the rest of the summer.

Starting up in the fall is pefect for me.

Back