• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! salsalady's Stuffed Pepper Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I use some of this this to marinade some of the stuff below....hmmmmm

10671368_851346361565758_8455811252846695006_n.jpg

10592886_851350061565388_544337800519002755_n.jpg

They are Hungarian wax pepper picked at the orange stage. I like them better for stuffing at that stage.

Has anyone ever had fried ice cream????  That was my inspiration. 

I made fried ice cream poppers. Vanilla blue bell ice cream, mixed with freshly crumbled bacon. Stuffed into a steamed jalapeno. 
Coated in funnel cake batter and deep fried. Topped with cinnamon and sugar. Glazed with hot pepper honey. Of course!

I steamed some 'penos and then stuffed them with the bacon ice cream and then put in the freezer to harden. 
When they came out, I rolled them in corn starch and dipped them in batter, before quickly deep frying. 
Topped with cinnamon and sugar and hot pepper honey. 

15138774256_e7da1f94ea_b.jpg

14975230698_b3547218c6_b.jpg

14975146180_f84b30a299_b.jpg

FD

LOVE the idea, Fiddy!

DaQ, you always were a big tease - that looks mighty tasty!

Mine is in varying stages of not ready yet. My son was in an accident - got rear-ended at a stop light hard enough to push his car into the car in front of him. He'll be ok, but you know, these things interrupt your day one way or another.

That aside, you know achiote (annatto) stains pretty well. So does hibiscus. Wow - pretty colors though! 

geeme said:
Mine is in varying stages of not ready yet. My son was in an accident - got rear-ended at a stop light hard enough to push his car into the car in front of him. He'll be ok, but you know, these things interrupt your day one way or another.

That aside, you know achiote (annatto) stains pretty well. So does hibiscus. Wow - pretty colors though! 

Ouch that accident kinda sucks.

Annatto, and hibiscus aye... That some kind of hint. on what you're making? I like annatto with roasted pork myself. As for hibiscus be careful it doesn't always stain the way you expect. I soaked boiled eggs in hibiscus tea a few months back to flavor, and dye them. The eggs turn green/black, not red.

Fiddy's Fried 'Peno Poppersicles

Steamed jalapenos. Vanilla Blue Bell ice cream, mixed with good crumbled bacon. Stuff the two together. 
Freeze for a while. Rock hard. (wankey!)
Slap a toothpick in it to make handling easy, and roll in corn starch. 
Dip in funnel cake batter, which has eggs, sugar, water, a little salt, flour...you know the deal. 
Deep fry until golden. The oil has to be hot enough to cook the batter quickly, and not melt all the ice cream!

When you take it out of the oil, top it with powdered sugar and cinnamon. A lot of it! 
Then, drizzle it with honey mixed with crushed red pepper. Make sure to have enough leftover for a dipping sauce!!

Highly recommended!!!!

15161812825_12f95bb757_b.jpg

14975227917_ea00e57c0c_b.jpg

15161425042_1833caf144_b.jpg

Fo Sho!
FD

I love more than the idea.

I love the dish, the concept, the exicution, the pictures, the final result... etc etc etc.. I even love your boobs wife.

whoops... ok. crosssed the line there, but you get it.

In fact, check yo sheeit. I'm pretty sure I just sucked one right thru the internet into my mouth. (I'm sure your poppers are still there).

WHOOOOPS!!!!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

DaQatz said:

Ouch that accident kinda sucks.
As for hibiscus be careful it doesn't always stain the way you expect. I soaked boiled eggs in hibiscus tea a few months back to flavor, and dye them. The eggs turn green/black, not red.
Thanks.

Well, the hibiscus turned my white mixing bowl (and what was in it) a lovely shade of purple. Fortunately it washed out pretty well. Eggs and hibiscus….. hmmm.

Eggplant Stuffed Hungarian Wax

AeoeX0Kl.jpg

Ingredients:

Hungarian Wax peppers (Picked at orange stage)
Eggplant
Tomatoes
Green Onions
Parsley
Spice Globe Basil
Garlic
Cream Cheese
Shredded Cheddar(I forgot to pull it out for the picture)

KKE6qePl.jpg

What about the plating you say? What are you talking about! IT IS PLATED! I ate it right out of CI pan.

A pic of one cut open.

KTPE0G9l.jpg

They were actually surprisingly filling for stuffed peppers.

Stuffed Hot Peppers with a side of stuffed peppers

Here we have several types of peppers to choose from.  In this case, the featured stuffed pepper is veggie-based, with a side of meat for those carnivores out there. To top off the meal is an Arugula/Curly Endive Salad with a Garlic Balsamic Dijon Vinaigrette and a side of Toasted garlic and herb Italian bread with Mozzarella cheese.  The featured peppers are Hungarian Wax and Jalapeno, which were stuffed with a Habanero Corn, Mushroom, and Onion filling (among other things.) The peppers on the side were Bell peppers stuffed with Ham, Italian Sausage, and Tomatoes (among other things,) and topped with mashed potatoes.

Ingredient List:

Hungarian Wax Peppers
Habanero Pepper
Jalapeno Pepper
Bell Peppers
Italian Sausages
Ham
Panko Bread Crumbs
Diced tomatoes
Sea salt
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Potatoes
Apple cider vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Corn
Baby Portobello mushrooms
Long Red Florence Onion (home grown)
Oregano
Mediterranean Oil
Dijon Mustard
Garlic Cloves
Curly Endive greens
Arugula greens
Cream cheese
Butter
Milk
Garlic and herb Italian bread
Cumin
Eggs

To make stuffed Hungarian Wax/Jalapeno peppers:

1.       Take a quantity of fresh peppers and do not cut completely open as normally might. Instead, place a pepper on a flat surface and find the peppers center of balance, or closest approximation. Visualize an exact middle of the pepper in this way, and cut a vertical line from top to bottom, widening cut slightly as necessary to allow a spoon to scrape out the insides. Try to make the cut as small as possible.
2.       Prepare two ears of corn, and slice down cob with a knife to remove kernels. You may do this raw.
3.       Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.  
4.       Prepare other fresh ingredients as required (sliced mushrooms, garlic cloves, onion, and habanero.)
5.       In a skillet, add some oil and then add onion, garlic, mushroom, and habanero pieces. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
6.       Add the corn kernels, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1½ tablespoons oregano, and a bit of sea salt. Cook for another five minutes.
7.       Using a teaspoon, stuff the prepared peppers with skillet mixture. Place peppers in a greased oven dish close together. Sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese.
8.       Cook peppers for 45 minutes.

To make garlic and herb bread:

1.       Slice some bread. Butter on one side and add some mozzarella pieces. Toast in a skillet until done.

To make Arugula/Curly Endive Salad with Balsamic Dijon Dressing:

1.       Wash your greens and set aside.
2.       In a small bowl, place 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar. To this add: 1 garlic clove pieces, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon basil, a small amount of sea salt, and 3-4 tablespoons oil. Mix as required.
3.       Toss dressing with salad greens. Serve.

To make Stuffed peppers with Italian sausage, ham, and tomatoes:

1.       Start by peeling a few potatoes, and then boiling them until soft. Strain out the water and return potatoes to pan.
2.       To pan add a quantity of soft cream cheese and mix well. As necessary, add a teaspoon of butter, and mix again. As necessary, add some milk and mix again. Repeat adding butter and milk until potatoes have reached desired consistency
3.       Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4.       Prepare a quantity of red or yellow bell peppers by slicing through the top as you would a pumpkin. Scoop out the insides and then set aside
5.       Place some water in a pan high enough to mostly cover peppers. To this, add some apple cider vinegar. Place peppers in water/vinegar mixture and bring to a boil (about 5 minutes.)
6.       Prepare a quantity of sausage by removing the casing.
7.       Place sausages in a mixing bowl, along with some ham cubes, and a can of diced tomatoes with juices.
8.       Mash these things together until mixed.
9.       To mixing bowl add:  2 eggs, some milk, some parmesan cheese, some sea salt, and some Panko bread crumbs. Mix well.
10.   Grease an oven safe pan.
11.   Using the partially boiled peppers from earlier, stuff peppers with Italian sausage, ham, and tomato mixture. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs on top.
12.   Bake for 30 minutes on 375 degrees F.
13.   Top finished pepper with mashed potatoes and a bit of parsley. Serve. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back