• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! salsalady's Stuffed Pepper Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asado with Capelina and Poppers

A perfect occasion to accompany grilled beef ribs. Prepare a capelina pepper with vegetables, and habaneros and jalapeños stuffed with cheese and pork. Also some guacamole and nachos.

To prepare the capelina use tomato, onion, bacon, ground pork, mozzarella cheese and beaten egg. Mix everything and put on a big sweet pepper cut into halves. Take it 30 minutes on the grill with quebracho wood and cover with a source to concentrate the heat. 

The stuffed peppers (Jalapeños y habaneros) were cooked separately in an electric furnace. 

Guacamole: placed in the food grinder two avocado pulp, chunks of onion, tomato, chiles, fresh lime juice, a little corn oil.

The beef ribs were cooked on the grill for 2:30 hours. at all times I will paint them with brine * to keep moisture and concentrate the flavor. 

*brine: infusion of salt water and 7%, 4 cloves of crushed garlic and rosemary. brought to boiling point and let stand until cool. So does a flavored brine to meat sa very good flavor. 

The beef ribs were the main course, salad replacement was with this great alternative, stuffed peppers and vegetable capelina. This variation was very successful in my family, even the kids ate and loved them. The peppers I've ever eaten and the one most

2014-09-07%252013.48.37.jpg

2014-09-07%252013.28.40.jpg

2014-09-07%252013.28.28.jpg

hopefully I will get this in under the wire.    teaser for now with pol.. hopefully things set up enough to plate soon.  plus in the white bucket is some white sugar.   my wife bakes a lot so flour and sugar are bulk beside the mixer. 

GEDC4892_zpse6b583ee.jpg

GEDC4888_zps26608f05.jpg

8er59ABl.jpg

Gingered Rum Bombs, with Cinnamon Apple compote

Ingredients:

"Cherry bomb" cherry peppers, Seeded, Candied, And soaked in gingered Rum. *see teaser posts for details.
Vanilla ice cream
Wild Green Apples
Cinnamon
Ginger
Nutmeg
Clove
Brown Sugar

npRaiuXl.jpg

These are Autumn inspired. Here in the northeast you can't walk in the woods without tripping over an apple tree. Their tart nature lends it's self wonderfully to pies, sauce, cider, and of course compote. The spices used in the compote mesh well with rum taste in the cherry pepper. The stuffed cherry can be kept in the freezer without worry of becoming too hard. Since the rum in pepper prevents it from freezing. Just pull out, and top, and enjoy.

Independence Day!

In the U.S. we generally celebrate Independence Day with barbecues. In Mexico the traditional dish is Chiles en Nogada, a dish that celebrates the colors of the Mexican flag. True Chiles en Nogada is a mix of meat and fruit stuffed in a chile with a walnut cream sauce and pomegrantes (a good recipe is here.) I didn't want mine to be quite as sweet or heavy, so this is my more-savory rif:

First make cochinita/puerco pibil - cubed pork shoulder marinated in achiote seeds, congo trinidad powder, cumin, allspice, cloves, Mexican oregano, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, orange juice, lime juice, and tequila, then roasted in banana leaves. Pour some of the cooking juices into a container and refrigerate the cooked pork and reserved juice overnight (some things are just better the next day.) 

Make the cream sauce using heavy whipping cream, almonds, sea salt, congo trinidad powder and powdered sugar. Place almonds in blender and pulse until fine - almost a powder. Add remaining ingredients and blend on high until the consistency of whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use. Up to 2 hours before use, whisk in some tequila.

Chop some onion and heat on low in some olive oil until golden. Shred or dice the pork and add to the onions. Remove the rendered fat from the reserved cochinita pibil broth then add to the meat and onion mix. Cook on medium-high until reduced down. 

Char and peal poblano chiles, slit open and remove seeds. Stuff the poblanos with the meat and onion mixture. Top with the cream sauce and small red raspberries (or pomegrante, if available.)

Before reducing the juice:
P1010828.JPG

P1010829.JPG

P1010831.JPG

Although there is some powdered sugar in the cream sauce, there's only a very small amount - this is not a sweet sauce. I really liked this more-savory version of the stuffed chiles and will definitely make it again. 

Sounds like a very tasty combo, DaQ!

And CH…. looks good!

Chocolate covered candied Habaneros , cannoli cream filling  , with  butterscortch  

candied habaneros- 

1.5 cups white sugar, 1 cup water,1 tbsp apple cider ,  1/2 tsp salt 

I used DaQatz  method for candying , my wife actually searched google  for how to candy them awhile back to do chocolate covered scotch bonnets   to try and copycat a chocolate shop that was selling them in Stratford.  She ended up on this site .  :P

My take on cannoli cream.  I don't really like the ricotta version, goat cheese gives a certain tang that is much better imo

1/3 cup approx, goat cheese
2 tbsps maple sugar
2 tbsps whipping cream
juice of half a lime
fine and chopped zest of one lime
2 tbsps chocolate chips ( preferably mini but I used what I had)
1/4 tsp kosher salt.    

mix together until creamy and then refrigerate in a zip bag  to set up and then snip corner to pipe into the habs.

GEDC4898_zps4c88aa82.jpg

melted milk coating chocolate

GEDC4903_zpsaced9356.jpg

butterscortch is just butterscotch made with the leftover candying sugar.  Quite possibly the best thing that came out of this experiment.  I would make it by the gallon .  Can't wait to put it over chocolate lava cakes with good vanilla ice cream. 

GEDC4904_zps27149e81.jpg

I'm not going to make it in time, here's the teaser and build-

candied chiles,
ricotta, cream cheese, powdered sugar, cinnamon filling
grilled procuitto
phyllo

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

bake, and then drizzle with some melted blackberry jam thinned with a tad bit of water and a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar. 

I'll post picture somewhere later.  Just ran out of time~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back