• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Show Your Heritage Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being Italian, Essegi’s Bigoli is bringing me great comfort. I swear I can taste it and already feel it in my belly. And chasing it with a Red Wine only makes sense.  Why the frick do I live so far from Italy!  

With that said, I have to admit I sure get excited whenever I see any shellfish being accompanied by any Horseradish, especially with the thought of sounds and smells of deep fryer fish splatter in the air!

[SIZE=medium]Entry 1:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Rice with Jerked Beef (Majao), Plantains, and Fried Egg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My story on heritage is somewhat complicated. I was born in America (I am adopted,) but am at least somewhat Bolivian. My ancestry is possibly connected to an urban region, perhaps the capital La Paz. That is about the extent of my knowledge of my biological origins (plus a few other things.)  Coincidentally, I have not done much research on the subject of my history, since my family in America adopted me at a young age. I thus decided to explore a bit of this aspect of my life, since it was largely unknown to me. For my first dish, I chose to tinker with a dish that, to me, is somewhat similar to a dish I eat occasionally here in America (stuffed peppers with rice and beef,) although in this case without the peppers. Instead, the dish asked for plantains and a fried egg, along with the rice and beef. I added some hot sauce and picked a slightly different rice than was probably used normally. I also would slightly reduce the salt content if I were to make this dish again, and add some sugar to the rice mixture again. That being said, the salt does an interesting thing to the beef, in that it seems to provide more flavor. I do not usually salt my beef in this way. After a taste test, it seems the three main portions of the dish work together to balance each other out. The plantains were slightly sweet, the rice/beef mixture salty, and the fried egg was a buttery slightly-seasoned neutral. Note that my POL may not reflect all ingredients used-as I found myself adding things during the cooking process that I didn't originally note.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1 lb chuck beef[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 cups jasmine rice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]red onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lemongrass[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]tomato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]plantains [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]beef bouillon [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]mint leaves for garnish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dr. Stadnyk's Habanero and Lime Hot Sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make rice:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Add about two cups jasmine rice to 3 cups water. Cook 15 minutes or until done. Fluff and set aside.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make plantains:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Start with some ripe plantains. You can choose plantains by bending them at the ends slightly. If they are yellow and somewhat pliant, that seems to be good. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Heat some Canola oil in a skillet, and slice plantains thinly in a diagonal direction.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Cook plantains on medium heat until browned on both sides. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Lightly salt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To pre-cook beef:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.   Start with a chuck roast or similar and cube beef.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.   Add three cups water to a sauce pan, and add beef cubes. Add four tablespoons of salt (or adjust down to your preference. I might reduce by one tablespoon and see how that goes.) Add some Dr. Stadnyk's hot sauce.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Cook the beef until browned.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Take beef out of broth and let cool. Shred into smaller pieces and set aside. Reserve broth for later steps. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make onion/tomato mixture:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Slice up an onion and tomato. Heat some oil in a pan, and cook onion only for ten minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Add tomato pieces, some lemongrass stalks (remove after cooking) and some cayenne pepper and cook for five more minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Add one cup of the beef broth from earlier and two beef bouillon cubes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  In the pan you have the beef broth in, add two additional cups of water and the shredded beef. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Pour in the onion/tomato mixture from the skillet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.  Cook for ten minutes on medium heat. Stir in cooked jasmine rice. Cook for an addition five minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.  If mixture is too runny, let cook until liquid is reduced. Remove from heat and serve with fried egg and plantains.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make fried egg:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. Melt some butter in a skillet. Crack an egg and let it cook in the butter. Flip and cook again. Season and serve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

Essegi.. in your teaser pictures the last picture had the pasta in a spiral shape.. did you spin those on a dowel or piece of wire??  

hopefully will get something into this TD Sunday night.  Essegi has the lock down on doing spiced up Northern Italian , so I will go with my Mom's side of the fam.   Just simple but it ties to at least three points of Heritage.   Maybe four if I stretch it  :)  

Thanks to all for the compliments!

grantmichaels said:
Sadly I can tell which quartz I'm looking at from the particulates ...
Lol! :D That's not a sad thing. I believe. I don't remember if it's some tech mixture.

tctenten said:
Homemade bread for the garlic bread.
That for sure caught my eye... I need to see the section! :D Garlic bread... Sounds so good, the kind of simple stuff i'd choose over fancier and more complex ones!

SL3 said:
Being Italian, Essegi’s Bigoli is bringing me great comfort. I swear I can taste it and already feel it in my belly. And chasing it with a Red Wine only makes sense.  Why the frick do I live so far from Italy!
Thanks Steve! That one maybe it's not exactly something you are used, but for once as good as the best southern dishes. :D

keybrdkid said:
Entry 1:

Rice with Jerked Beef (Majao), Plantains, and Fried Egg
That looks great and a winner for me!

Ashen said:
Essegi.. in your teaser pictures the last picture had the pasta in a spiral shape.. did you spin those on a dowel or piece of wire??
Not really... I spammed pasta on the dish trying to do it well (it's thick and short so it's not like spaghetti). Then i tried to round the shape a bit. Then i start eating putting cheese. After 1 or 2 bites i thought that a photo with grated cheese could have silenced complains especially of bad dudes like THP, Sic and Jay (just joking :D) so i added more and took a photo.

Oh, i missed that
sicman said:
Who made that cutting board?
Some idiot i think. That was the cutlery container of the kithcen and there wasn't a single hole of suitable dimension. Or too big or too small to there's was so much waste of space. A new cheap one did the job.
But reversed it's great to knead.

[SIZE=medium]Entry 2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Coconut Pudding (Budin de Coco) with Strawberries [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My story on heritage is somewhat complicated. I was born in America (I am adopted,) but am at least somewhat Bolivian. My ancestry is possibly connected to an urban region, perhaps the capital La Paz. That is about the extent of my knowledge of my biological origins (plus a few other things.)  Coincidentally, I have not done much research on the subject of my history, since my family in America adopted me at a young age. I thus decided to explore a bit of this aspect of my life, since it was largely unknown to me. For my dessert dish, I chose to tinker with a coconut pudding by adding sugared strawberries and cayenne pepper (coconuts are common in the eastern portion of Bolivia.) The dish was made in an interesting way. The trick was in the flavoring. I bought some shredded coconut, but later went back to the store when I noted the amount of coconut necessary. At that point, I found some wide-cut coconut shavings, which supposedly help add more flavor. All in all, about 3/4 pound of coconut was used. Ironically, this was almost completely strained out in the cooking process. What remained was the coconut flavor and other ingredients. Originally I intended to use the recommended cane sugar (most Bolivian sugar is apparently cane sugar) in the pudding itself-but of course, I forgot. So instead I used the cane sugar to make the whipped cream topping (heavy cream/cane sugar.)  Again my POL may not reflect all ingredients used. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3/4 lb coconut shavings/wide cut shavings[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]granulated sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]pure cane sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cloves [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cinnamon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cinnamon stick for garnish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]corn starch[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4 cups milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sugared strawberries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]mint leaf for garnish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]heavy cream[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make coconut pudding:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  In a pot, boil 3 cups milk, some cayenne pepper, some cloves, some powdered cinnamon, and 3/4 lb of coconut shavings. When boiling, add 2 cups sugar. Cook on low heat for ten minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Using a strainer, remove coconut pieces from liquid and drain remaining liquid into a container. Transfer this liquid back to the pan. Discard coconut.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Add 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup corn starch (you may want to dilute the starch in a bit of water first.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Cook on low heat until the mixture thickens, stirring frequently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Remove from heat and cool completely. Serve with whipped cream and topped with powdered cinnamon. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To  make whipped cream topping:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Add some heavy cream to a bowl along with a quantity of cane sugar. Using a blender, blend at varying speeds until cream develops stiff peaks. Scrape into a clean bowl and refrigerate until needed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make sugared strawberries:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. Slice some strawberries and place in a container. Scoop some sugar over top of the strawberries. Refrigerate. The cold of the refrigerate will change the cane sugar into a syrupy-type liquid; and enhance the sweetness of the strawberries. [/SIZE]

Bummer, I have to be a spectator on this one. We have ice dam issues that lead to a leak in an upstairs bathroom that went down through the ceiling of our kitchen. We have a 10x10 section of our ceiling cut out and an industrial dehumidifier trying to dry it out. Good luck brothas and sistas!

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I am cooking for dinner and golden hour ;)

Sounds like a plan ...

I'm exhausted from having to pay attention for as long as that cook took ... nightmare scenario for my personality type ...

I bribed Danielle into making me cabbage rolls tonight (they delight me + they tie her up for 3 hrs) and am skipping the TD ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back