• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Most Eggcellent Throwdown

sck75gU.jpg

okay, more pics coming later :D

:cheers:

Crazy TD!

Or.... Gip's crazy TD egg. :Rofl:

That quiche is loaded with good juju. I would actually scarf that down before the Benedict, and I LOOOOVE eggs Benedict!!!

Looking forward to seeing these mad scientist creations!!

I won't be in it this month because I am all in, on my genealogy again. I'll post an update in my thread to not distract too much here.

The Hot Pepper said:
I removed the unsportsmanlike posts, if you don't want to enter fine, but do not throw shade on others due to ingredients used and your inability to compete because of that, that is not the problem of the entrant but is your own self confidence, and I won't have you drag this down.

Don't even know what happened but hope my post wasn't taken as anything more than a bit of a rib! :shocked:

All good methinks... it's still there. :D

Scoville DeVille said:
Or.... Gip's crazy TD egg. :rofl:

I ain't even mad at GIP... brother looks like he about to drop some serious shizz with that thing! :onfire:

(Just a bit bent outta shape by the boss and his timing on this TD... it's a conspiracy, I tell ya! :rofl:)

Lamb Chops:

continued from yesterday...

Vlvj3gg.jpg

(Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Lemon juice, Olive oil, Sea Salt)
Ready to get cling wrapped up and put in the fridge overnight

oZLimRW.jpg

excess was there for overnight marinating, now that that's done, most has been wiped off (otherwise it would just char to a blackened crust anyway :/ ) then they were given a quick rinse in white cooking wine, and patted dry. they are now ready for the grill...

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Lamb Chops:

continued from yesterday...

Vlvj3gg.jpg

(Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Lemon juice, Olive oil, Sea Salt)
Ready to get cling wrapped up and put in the fridge overnight

oZLimRW.jpg

excess was there for overnight marinating, now that that's done, most has been wiped off (otherwise it would just char to a blackened crust anyway :/ ) then they were given a quick rinse in white cooking wine, and patted dry. they are now ready for the grill...

Are you trying to win my heart, man... 'cause this is how you win my heart.

And I don't even swing that way!

(and on my favourite plate too... the one that's sitting on my lap right now as we speak...)

Ie0mq53.jpg

:lol:

3way egg sandwich and hash

Hollandaise Ingredients:
Vinegar
Shallows
150g butter
85g egg yoks
60g water
20g lemon juice
3g himalayan salt

Poached eggs ingredients:
Eggs

Scrambled eggs ingredients:
4 eggs
hand full of chopped breakfast sausage
hand full of chopped onions
hand full of chopped jalapeños
corn starch
butter
Croissant

Hash ingredients:
potatoes
onions
jalapeños  
salt & pepper
canola oil

topping: Hickory smoked red blend pepper powder + pickled shallots 

For the hollandaise, I simmered the chopped shallows with the vinegar and reduced by half. I put all the ingredients (including strained vinegar) in a ziplock bag and sous vide it for 2 hours at 64C/147F. For the poached egg, I just added 2 eggs to the water for the same 2 hours. After those 2 hours were done, I removed he egg and put the hollandaise sauce in the vitamix and emulsified it to creamy-eggy smooth perfection. 

For the hash, I diced and boiled the potatoes until tender, drained then fried it in canola oil with the onions and jalapeño peppers. Once finished I topped with hollandaise and smoked pepper powder.

For the scrambled eggs, I cooked the sausage first then chopped it up. Added the eggs, sausage, onions and jalapeño peppers with some corn starch and whisked it up. Cooked it up in some butter then added it on top of the butter toasted croissant. I added 2 poached eggs on top, drizzled he hollandaise sauce and topped with the smoked red blend and pickled shallots. 

Attachments

• Resized_20170409_161123.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_161123.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Resized_20170409_183750.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_183750.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Resized_20170409_184213.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_184213.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Resized_20170409_184508.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_184508.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Resized_20170409_184547.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_184547.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Resized_20170409_184622.jpeg
    Resized_20170409_184622.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 93
Cracker Barrel Style Breakfast

I've only eaten at Cracker Barrel a few times, but I generally like the breakfast food. I decided to emulate one of their menu items in this contest since eggs were a featured ingredient. The four parts to this plating are: Parmesan and Italian Bread Crumb coated Pork Chops, Fried Egg, Onion Hash Browns, and Homemade Biscuits with homemade Apple Butter.  The whole egg portion was the Fried Egg, and the incorporated portion was the egg used as a breading/coating medium for the pork chops.

Ingredient List

McIntosh Apples
Apple Cider
Honey
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cloves
Salt
Potatoes
onion
AP Flour
egg
canola oil
pepper
Baking powder
sugar
butter
milk
pork steaks
Parmesan cheese
Italian Style Bread Crumbs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cayenne Pepper

To make Apple Butter:

1.           Chop four apples using an apple slicer. You can leave the peel on. Transfer them to a saucepan.
2.           To the same saucepan add: 1/3 cup apple cider, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, a pinch of cloves, a bit of cayenne pepper, and a pinch of sea salt.
3.           Heat the pan on low heat, and cover. Cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally so the apples don't stick.
4.           Leaving the skin on the applies is fine, but if you don't want to hassle with the blender issues, take them off first. I was able to relatively easily chop them up in a blender with the skins on. Either way, blend until smooth.
5.           Refrigerate until needed.

To make Parmesan Pork Chops:

1.           Cut your Pork loin into 1/2- 1 inch steaks. Salt and pepper both sides generously. This is important because you should always use more salt when browning meat in this way than you think you would need. You don't really taste it at all.
2.           Pour about 1 cup Parmesan cheese in large container, and 1 cup Italian Style (preferably Panko) bread crumbs into a separate container. Beat 2-3 eggs in a mixing bowl.
3.           When ready, dip a pre-salted/peppered pork loin in the parmesan cheese. Coat all sides well.
4.           Dip pork steak into the egg, then again in the Italian Style Bread crumbs. Coat all sides well.
5.           Set aside or refrigerate until needed.
6.           When ready, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil in a large skillet with lid. Dust with some cayenne pepper.
7.           Cook three pork steaks at a time on medium heat; 6 minutes on a side.
8.           After each batch, add some more oil. Otherwise, you will burn off all your oil eventually.
9.           Remove from heat, and serve.

To make Homemade Biscuits:

1.           Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.           In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups AP flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar.
3.           Measure out 1/3 cup butter, and use scissors to clip it in pieces into the bowl with the flour.
4.           Add 1 cup milk gradually, until the dough pulls away from surface.
5.           place dough in a mixing bowl or parchment paper coated with oil or cooking spray, and refrigerate until needed.
6.           When ready, turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead 15-20 times. The dough will be very sticky, so constant add flour in small amounts to prevent this as much as possible.
7.           Use a cookie cutter or cutting tool to cut circles out of the dough. Place these on an ungreased cookie sheet.
8.           Recycle the dough until all of it has been used up.
9.           Cook in oven 14 minutes or until done.

To make Hash Browns:

1.           Peel 3 potatoes. Slice an onion in half, remove ends.
2.           Shred the potato using a cheese grater, and cut the onion into very small pieces.
3.           In a large mixing bowl add: the shredded potatoes, the onion pieces, 1/4 cup AP Flour, some light salt and pepper, and 1 beaten egg.
4.           Mix this all well until evenly coated.
5.           Heat a small layer of oil in a large skillet with a lid on medium heat.
6.           Using your hands or other method, form potato mixture into general patties.
7.           Cook them in the oil 5 minutes on a side, or until done. As oil heats cooking will go faster.
8.           Remove from heat and serve.
9.           Salt and pepper again to taste, and then serve with hot sauce or your condiment of choice. I used El Jefe sauce.

To make Fried Egg:

1.           Melt some butter in a skillet.
2.           Crack an egg, and immediately salt and pepper it.
3.           Wait for the egg to start bubbling, then flip it half over like a bivalve shell.
4.           Salt and pepper the other side.
5.           Let it cook until it sizzles well and looks done. The longer you cook it the more done the middle will be. I like over medium-ish doneness.
6.           Remove from heat and serve.

G.I.P.'s Green Eggs and Lamb  or  Eggcellent Emu and Quail egg Eggstravaganza !

When i first found out it was decided to be Egg-throwdown...
 I was truly Egg-static ! I began searching creative egg dishes for inspiration that week, then started trying to source alternative to chicken eggs locally :D

But when it came day of, and there were multiple components and challenges to qualify that i was not expecting...
 I must admit, I was scrambled, total shell-shock, surely he must be yolking with us ?

okay G.I.P. quit being such a chicken, just hatch a new plan of attack :rolleyes:
Did i know Egg-sactly what i was going to do, heck no! Not anymore.
I just knew i couldn't back out now.
(after all, I took a two hour round trip and spent a considerable amount acquiring these Egg-streme eggs)
all i need to do is be Egg-ceptional, keep it Egg-citing, and make it Egg-stravagent and this folks is what i came up with... 

GREEN EGGS(the shell) and Lamb
with sunny Quail egg and Tobiko on crisp Nori appetizers 

A0O6B5Y.jpg

Emu eggs and Lamb Chops

YGGUbgM.jpg

Quail eggs, and Flying fish roe

HJD7sna.jpg

Incredibly THICK 3 layered shell, and absolutely massive Yolk 

nMjWsNc.jpg

The "graveyard" coming together 

pdRdLFg.jpg

Just the Yolk about to be buried in its grave 

PvdBQoi.jpg

a day later, carefully un-buried, rinsed in cool water, then into a bowl of warm water to bring it up to temp where it will sit until plating

O2WpUOG.jpg

crisp Nori sheets with sunny Quail eggs topped with Flying Fish roe

ohqhpRA.jpg

plated *Note the massive intact graved Emu yolk 

HpEPJ5X.jpg

and the Epic yolk run pic :dance:

and for my tenth pic
3xphpSU.jpg

Close up half eaten plate showing doneness of Lamb and incredible creamy delicious Yolk !

RECIPES;

lamb chop rub/paste Marinade;
(garlic, rosemary, thyme, redgum smoked Brazilian starfish peppers, and sea salt. Pulse until combined. Pour in olive oil and pulse into a paste. Rub the paste on both sides of the lamb chops and let them marinate overnight in a sealed dish in the refrigerator)

CURING/GRAVE for the Yolk:SALT/SUGAR 50:50 Aji Panca,Red Hatch Powder, Smoked Rocoto Powder add combined weight of pepper powders in additional salt (note total mix will be Salty,smokey, spicy,sweet, deliciousness
{almost a shame to use for 1 yolk, you can reserve this in the refrigerator and make more graved egg yolks in it}) I didnt though  :neutral:

how long to let it cure?
well since we are working with a massive Emu egg yolk, let cure for a minimum of 4 hours, a maximum(for still runny yolk) of 30 hours  *Note this can be cured for DAYS and used "hard" similar in texture and taste to a crumbly buttery cheese.

Chops:
Next morning,
rinsed quickly in white wine, then patted dry, now ready for the grill
grilled for 3 minutes on each side on a hot grill(remembering to drizzle white wine, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic *reserved when making the marinade), then move to upper rack and leave there with lid closed and burners off until plated. 

When unearthing the graved egg be eggstra careful :rolleyes: , rinse really well in a bowl of cold water.
Now carefully transfer to a bowl of warm water (unless you want to eat your yolk cold)
Just before serving, ladle it out of the bowl of warm water with a huge slotted spoon and allow all water to drip off. Serve on giant cut pieces of buttered toast. make sure you have plenty of toast to wipe up all that delicious yolk with :drooling:

plate Nori with sunny side up Quail egg on top, then small lump of Tobiko on top of that pinch of fresh chopped chives on top of that

How was it ?
was it all it's Cracked up to be ? Yes
was it Eggstreme ? Yes
Eggstravagent ?  Certainly, it's a Throwdown after all, I'm going to challenge myself. I'm not going to make something i eat every day.
so why not make something Eggsquisite, truly Eggcelent :lol: , okay I'll stop with the EGG puns now :rolleyes:

okay, 1 more:  this was so Eggciting  :dance:  

thank you all for taking the time to look at my Egg throwdown entry

G.I.P.

Back