Beginner Growing and Making (Any tips?)

Hi,

I'm a beginner at growing chilli's and making my own sauce so I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips.

I plan on making different strengths with different peppers and growing them all myself as well as the tomatoes, etc.

Any would help or tips would be brilliant.

Thanks

Thanks a lot. Also I meant to ask is there ways of doing it cheaper with home made equipment or is it best just spending the money?

:welcome:

You need good lights and good dirt.
I use T5 lamps and Jiffy peat pellets.
You can build shelves and use Dixie cups or Solo cups for initial seed/seedlings

Brilliant. Does anyone have any tips they have found to help the plants grow/produce?

Thanks everyone for the help by the way. Much appreciated

Haha very good. Since I would be only doing this for fun in making my peppers for sauces and not on a commercial scale would I be able to use tin foil to aide in creating the heat instead of overpaying for a lighting set up?

I'm just learning, too.  And I'm cheap.  I read all the links, glogs and googled some stuff....the prob is that there is almost too much info out there.  Biggest things I'm learning:

1) Don't over water - easy to over water at all stages from germinating, seedling, adult, etc.....
2) Good dirt that drains well -- or at least potting soil mixed with perlite or something to help it drain.  Helps keep from over watering
3) Lights - I have T8s but I have a couple out of the light that have gone dormant
4) Air movement - oscillating fan 
5) Aphids - get on top of these little bastidges fast.  If Satan had head lice that cross bred with genital crabs, I'm pretty sure the offspring would be aphids.  
6) Germinating -- I struggled with germinating...generally over watered no matter what I did (paper towel, potting soil, etc..).  My best germ so far is Fox Farm Light Warrior on a heating mat.  Spray lightly every 2 days.  I'm getting germination in as little as 4 days.

That's the cheap and dirty.  I haven't messed with pH, heat, special lights or anything more but I think I've got a set up good enough to get through the winter with some decent growth. 

Good grow lights, Light Watering, Light Soil, Light On The Nutrients, Cinnamon Is Your Friend. Sprinkle Some Around The Seedlings Once They Have Emerged..

The most important lesson that you will learn is that hope is the enemy and joy is its sidekick.  As long as you have either, the peppers can hurt you.

Go ahead, get your 10x10 rows of perfectly spaced growing habitats with soil ingredients measured to the ppm, monitor their temperature down to a tenth of a degree, hook up a webcam so you can monitor their progress in realtime from anywhere, sing them lullabies and kiss them goodnight.  Then know the pain of losing them all as some minor imbalance in the next few months causes them to wither and die in front of your eyes, while the salt from your tears kills the last as you rock it back and forth, sobbing, in your arms.  This may need to be repeated for a few seasons before you're ready to move on to the next step.

After your heart has suitably withered and hardened into something vaguely resembling coal, try again with a different approach.

Take a single cup/bucket/spittoon/ashtray/chamberpot and throw some dirt in it.  Take a handful of seeds and throw them at the dirt as hard as you can, while screaming vegetationally-charged epithets at them.  Put the container somewhere that you'll notice it about once a week so you can repeat the swearing and occasionally spit upon them.  As long as you have nothing but hate in your heart, those goddamn plants will grow with a vengeance.

One day, you will notice that they have grown into fine, mighty plants capable of producing a bountiful harvest.  You will allow yourself a moment of pride.

And that's when the goddamn aphids appear.

Good grow lights, Light Watering, Light Soil, Light On The Nutrients, Cinnamon Is Your Friend. Sprinkle Some Around The Seedlings Once They Have Emerged..
Why the Cinnamon?
Nevermind...

I didn't read all posts but if someone hasn't said it, start with reputable seeds and label everything well. All too often new growers just slap things in the dirt and then post a bunch asking what kind of pepper it is. There's far too many varieties to ever get an accurate guess on pepper type.

And a decent ph probe for making sauce.

Back