• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beginning to grow....any tips?

So I'm going to start the germination process here in a couple weeks just wondering if anyone had any tips! I do have a few questions - those of you who pot indoors is feeding/ferts absolutely necessary or just make them grow faster? Is there any rule of thumb how big of container to keep what size of plant in? Are there any variety of peppers that tend to put off fruit earlier than others?

Before anyone gets all up tight and says "use the search feature," I am well versed on the functionality of the search feature and I have also read through quite a number of grow logs, these are just a few questions that I have had percolating for a while and haven't stumbled across an answer yet ;) Thanks all!

if u want fruit early you will need to use fert lots of light and big pot. if u want to just keep it alive you can put it in a small pot, no fert needed, I have a mini pepper that is 2 years old in a pot no bigger than a coffe cup, and its still alive and well.

Does that pepper ever fruit? I'm not overly concerned with the fruit, a little bit over the winter would be nice but I don't need massive amounts. just trying my hand at growing, hopin for a treat or 2, and gettin a headstart on next season. I think I'll only start 3 plants at this point.

Does that pepper ever fruit? I'm not overly concerned with the fruit, a little bit over the winter would be nice but I don't need massive amounts. just trying my hand at growing, hopin for a treat or 2, and gettin a headstart on next season. I think I'll only start 3 plants at this point.

it had 1 fruit for the whole winter,.small one too

4 plants of one variety quickly turned into 11 plants between 5 varieties for me. It would have been 8 varieties but I had problems with some germinating and gave up trying those this season....

Id say if you are just using a window sill over winter, your best bet would be some C. Annuum varieties as they will produce earlier and easier. i have peppers growing on a few window plants in 16oz plastic beer cups. although they would really benefit from larger containers.

My tip would be to be very patient. And don't start your chinese babies til January. Starting them now is just too early where you live. Start your annuums in February.

Back