• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Berry Varieties

Muckyai said:
That sounds like a really good idea. My location has very sandy beachy soil. Do the blueberry bushes get to be a good size in the half barrels?
We have Florida specific varieties. Most blueberries don't do well (or at all) here.
I had one for 3 years in a half barrel, and grew it 100% pure pine bark. It made really nice big blueberries, every spring, and a continuous supply of tiny berries the rest of the warm season.
I just got it at Lowes. LOL

My Sea Buckthorn doing well, and my new Gooseberries :)

nV6ZJEj.jpg

jSiT5qp.jpg

I bought a goji berry on clearance at Lowe's and potted it (18" pot, as suggested by Oh Knowledgable Google). It had a shoot sprouting up so I potted that separately in a smaller container. Figured I'd try to nurse it up to adult size and see how I do. Two for one! And the shoot is putting out another shoot. The mother goji plant has flowers now, though I expect the birds and squirrels to get to the berries before I do.

Roo said:
I bought a goji berry on clearance at Lowe's and potted it (18" pot, as suggested by Oh Knowledgable Google). It had a shoot sprouting up so I potted that separately in a smaller container. Figured I'd try to nurse it up to adult size and see how I do. Two for one! And the shoot is putting out another shoot. The mother goji plant has flowers now, though I expect the birds and squirrels to get to the berries before I do.
Yeah, gojis seem to love to throw out suckers. I haven't seen any flowers on mine, but it's pretty small and the black pot probably isn't helping.

peppersproutfarm said:
We had a stellar elderberry season. Picked and processed enough elderberry to bottle seven liters of syrup the picture is the first third of the harvest.

I haven't seen those being harvested ever since I was still a kid :) They grew/grow in the semi-wild (an almost forgotten corner of our land) and they were picked to make a cough syrup.

ahayastani said:

I haven't seen those being harvested ever since I was still a kid :) They grew/grow in the semi-wild (an almost forgotten corner of our land) and they were picked to make a cough syrup.

They grow in the swampy/marshy areas where I grew up, and were typically used for making wine.  That's a damn good haul dude made.  Elderberries don't seem to be quite as abundant as you'd think they'd be.

I have 13 or so different selections of cane fruits growing however I planted them this season and it remains to be seen how they will fare.

I've been manually cross pollinating them and planting the seeds, several have sprouted but most will show up next year.

I also have numerous forms of Mulberry and Grape growing.

Fresh seed from many fruits can be quite viable before it dries and enters a dormancy period that typically requires cold stratification to break.

Back