• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery Best brand of Hot Dogs?

I'm asking about the brand you'd bring home to cook yourself. Also, needs to be easily available in Oregon, please. Don't tell me about some special place in Chicago that makes their own and sells them only at the factory.

Thank you for you inputs.

I promise not to put spaghetti in them and then cook them, although they do look awesome that way.

Im no hot dawg snob so Im pretty happy with Hebrew Nationals. Im sure there are better dogs out there and all but considering Im a low-brow kinda guy these happen to be my favorite.
Although, before moving to socal a couple decades ago, when I lived in an area that was conducive to hunting, we always made sure to have some of our venison made into the best frankfurters, but readily available at the market our choice is Hebrew Nationals.
I am interested in hearing others input on this as well.

LUCKYDOG said:
My favorites are made locally - Hummel, Muckeys and Grote & Weigel
We switched to Hummel this Summer. We get the skinless ones. It's the one dog everyone in the house likes.

I also like Sabretts and Boars Head.

I usually go with Nathans or Hebrew National. Costco's in house brand is very good too, but it comes in a megapack and they always taste "off" if frozen.

Caspers in the vac pack. Safeway should have them if you have one near by. I think they have natural casing cause they have a real nice snap and great flavor.

Nathans at this house. But when I lived inUpstate NY I liked Pilgrim. Havent seen that brand anywares else.

Im digging stuffes sausages more these days.

Which Nathan's are you guys talking about? Bun Size and Jumbo are skinless. Only the Original Nathan's Famous have casings (top left in red it says natural casing). Those are the real ones, like at the place.

Many of these I've never heard of. I'll have to look for them. I'll check out Safeway for Caspers. Hebrew, I've had and I like.

THP, all three places are a 30 min. drive or so from me, no problem checking them out.

The Kirkland Brand of hot dogs and Polish dogs are made by regional companies and the ones here are terrible. Every couple of years I tell myself they can't be that bad and buy one. Yeck! I throw it out. Never thought there was that much difference in hot dogs. Most of the time, the Costco here in town only has the Kirkland brand.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Nathan's or Hebrew National for me.
The Hot Pepper said:
Which Nathan's are you guys talking about? Bun Size and Jumbo are skinless. Only the Original Nathan's Famous have casings (top left in red it says natural casing). Those are the real ones, like at the place.
Those the the ones, all the way.

Also, where's JayT?!? I'm in mobile - no JayT signal. :(
JayT said:
Nathans, Vienna Beef, or Hebrew National.
Oh thank god. Hot dog crime thwarted again.

Back