• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum Best C. baccatum?

I see a ton of different varieties of C. baccatum becoming available. The few that I have grown (Aji Cito, Aji Colorado, and a large red pod type with no heat from Bolivian market) seem very tolerant of Indiana weather as well as insects and disease. So I am wondering if there are any varieties that are compact for easy container gardening, hot and tasty when unripe like many annuums, and prolific? The Aji Cito fits all of these categories except the tasty and hot when unripe (but they are very tasty when ripe!). Thanks for any info.

I grew 4 c.baccatums this year - Aji Limon, Criolla Sella, Inca Drop, and Peruvian Pointer - all in contatiners. The Peruvian Pointer got the tallest, but pretty much grows upright so it doesn't become a space issue. I had decent yields on all of them with the Aji Limon and Inca Drop probably producing the most total pods. The Peruvian's were the largest overall when you consider both size and length. I think that in terms of taste, the Criolla Sella is the best, followed by Aji Limon - both have a wonderful, fruity taste - I use them both in ceviche and in some salsas. To me, the Aji Limon has a lemon/lime flavor and the Criolla is more of a pineapple flavor. Both have similar heat. The Peruvian Pointer is good for drying as its rather thin skinned, Inca Drop is an overall solid chile - loved its production and the shape of the pods. I would rank the one I grew as follows: 1. Criolla Sella, 2. Aji Limon (albeit a close 2nd, 3/4. Inca Drop and Peruvian Pointer - depending on what you're using them for. Here are a few pictures of the pods that I picked yesterday - unfortunately my season is about over (except Criolla which only has a few green pods left). I also included a picture of Beni Highlands - its chinense from Bolivia not baccatum, but its also got a great citrus flavor and packs more heat than the others - I've grown it for the past 3 years.

Clockwise from the top: Inca Drop, Peruvian Pointer, Beni Highlands, Aji Limon:
P1010962.jpg

This is an older picture - Criolla Sella are the orange pods on the right side of the picture in the middle:
P1010924.jpg

nice harvest buddy what is the small yellow pea size is it wild brazilian ? c.chinese?

The small yellow pea shaped one is a Charapita - a Chinense from Peru. Tepin type pepper - very hot on a profilic bush type plant. I've taken hundreds of pods off of this one. I grew it in a container and it did just fine. This is the 1st year that I've grown it - I will be growing it again next year. Another citrusy tasting hot chinense.

I have Hot Lemon plants in 1 gallon containers and they are quite flavourful, when I bite down on a slice of pod it feels like a lemony citrus burst in my mouth - every bite just seems to squirt in my mouth, heat is comparible to ceyenne or super chili.

I have Hot Lemon plants in 1 gallon containers and they are quite flavourful, when I bite down on a slice of pod it feels like a lemony citrus burst in my mouth - every bite just seems to squirt in my mouth, heat is comparible to ceyenne or super chili.

do you have pics of those plants?
I saved seeds from farmer's market pods and I'd like to see how they'd fare under somewhat constrained conditions.

......bare with me, they are uploading to photobucket now, I didn't look at the pictures so forgive me if any are out of focus ............ here ya go:
HPIM1860.jpg

HPIM1859.jpg

HPIM1858.jpg

Back