• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best control for leaf miners?

Noticed leaf miner damage on one of my nasturtium this morning. It's only a matter of time before they spread, what can I do to control/eradicate the buggers before things get bad?

From Colorado State University's website:
No controls for the vegetable leafminers are recommended. Many insecticides have poor activity against these insects and often insecticide applications will make problems worse, by differentially destroying natural enemies.
Spinach leafminers pose different problems as they appear on edible crops. In gardens the most simplest and most effective means of controlling this insect is to regularly check the plants for the presence of eggs, which can be hand crushed. Leaves with actively growing larvae should be picked and destroyed; leaving picked leaves on the ground will allow the larvae to finish development.

Sometimes removing leaves, bagging them in ziplocs and putting them in the trash is the best approach. Sounds like it in this case. 

Yeah that is what I have been doing -_-

I suppose best bet now is to keep cover my leafy greens with netting and check each day to remove affected leaves.

Also just found out they sell parasitic insects for use against leaf miners in Japan. May have to try and order some.

That's probably your best alternative, especially if you're seeing it happen on multiple plants. From what I've read (and note, I just pulled leaves this past weekend for the same problem), insecticides only really work if you just happen to catch them as they're hatching from the eggs, which is usually during the early spring. It's that "just happen to catch them" part I don't like. Best wishes - I only had a few leaves to pull, but can see this would be worrisome if it was more than that.

I only noticed it this morning and it seems to be limited to nasturtium at the moment, but last year it was really bad. Hoping keep things from escalating this year. -_-

Well it appears the problem is bigger than I thought, we got aphids too!

Spent all afternoon today smashing bugs and spraying soapy garlic spray -_-

Small spiders are good for any small flying insects!
Orb Weavers are Awesome little pets. They stay put and will eat everything that is small enough to get stuck in their webs. I fed mine small caterpillars for fun.

This isnt my pic but it will help you ID one to catch.
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Here was mine last year
5f077a24-62e8-4d4c-9980-2255e3efa2b4_zpsadd0bee8.jpg

Back