• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Best grinder for powdering chili

Hello, and first of all I would like to say hello to everyone. Someone recommended me this site and here I am. 

I have a question about making powder. I have a Wilfa CGR 1 (or Breville) as in the picture below. Its good on coffee beans and hard spices, but its NOT good for chili powder. Do anyone have any suggestion for a good, but affordable grinder for making coarse powder ??

Its seems like this one is struggling with the thin skin on chilies. Its just jamming up and not grinding. 

Thanks, Arctic Chili

6501532_0_9999_lge_v1_m56577569830533736.jpg

Well the thing is that I have to use a blender with blades and grind them first, then us the expensive grinder to make it coarse. I usually dehydrate pretty well. And normally I heat them in the oven on 300 degrees for a while to bring out more flavor. Let them cool of, get the majority of seeds out and then grind. This machine makes flour of raw rice. Its extremely powerful. But no luck for whole chillies :(

I used an old blender to crush the pods then a new small Moulinex coffee grinder, nothing fancy. Pretty good results, the pods were oven dried (50 *C).

You might want to research burr grinders.  I haven't used one but that is the type a place like Starbucks would use to get an even consistent grind.  They are more expensive though.

Ok! Thanks for the reply. The Wilfa/Breville is supposed to be the best coffee grinder on the market of the non professional choices. Its about $130 and grinds all hard spices, coffee, rice +++ but not chili :(

I second Jamie's (romy6) suggestion on the blender.  I get a super fine powder by using my blender alone.  It is by no means a top of the line blender either.  It's really handy as mason jars fit right on to it, so no extra transfer is required to final storage.

Edit:  That grinder you have should be up to the task.  It makes me wonder if your chilis aren't fully dehydrated.  There should be no bend to the pods when you squeeze them.  They should just crush.  If they have a little give/bend to them, then you know they still have moisture in them and need to dehydrate longer.

compmodder26 said:
I second Jamie's (romy6) suggestion on the blender.  I get a super fine powder by using my blender alone.  It is by no means a top of the line blender either.  It's really handy as mason jars fit right on to it, so no extra transfer is required to final storage.

Edit:  That grinder you have should be up to the task.  It makes me wonder if your chilis aren't fully dehydrated.  There should be no bend to the pods when you squeeze them.  They should just crush.  If they have a little give/bend to them, then you know they still have moisture in them and need to dehydrate longer.
I use wide mouth mason jars and only regular jars fit on my blenders. :( 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I use wide mouth mason jars and only regular jars fit on my blenders. :(

So use standard ones silly ;).  Sorry Chris, guess in your case, there would be extra transfer required.

My tool of choice in the past was a mortar and pestle.  Takes a lot of time and you have to be careful with it, but it works extremely well for even the finest of powders.  Plus it's a good workout.  :party:

compmodder26 said:
 That grinder you have should be up to the task.  It makes me wonder if your chilis aren't fully dehydrated.  There should be no bend to the pods when you squeeze them.  They should just crush.  If they have a little give/bend to them, then you know they still have moisture in them and need to dehydrate longer.

I have to agree with this. I don't believe your peppers are completely dry. If they were completely dry the machine would not gum up or jam.

The break and don't bend. I usually dehydrate in a dehydrator cutting them in two pieces. Leaving them for everything from 4h to 8-9 hours given how many trays. Usually on 55 degrees c. I also roast them in the oven to the point where they start getting blackish. Then let them cool. This is how the grinder looks in the top: 

7044876057686_WSCG-2_Nymalt_Steap_Wilfa_(3).jpg

I did the mod to it too. Where you disassembly the thing and remove some plastic peaces. That way it will grind even finer!

If your dried  peppers do not crumble into pieces when you rub them between your fingers they are not ready to grind :) 

Anyway :rolleyes: who wants a powder that is the fine as  flour. Not me  :drooling:

If you have money to burn, a blender with two sets of blades, one high and one low would be pimp! An all in 1 pepper powder pod busting machine!

romy6 said:
If your dried  peppers do not crumble into pieces when you rub them between your fingers they are not ready to grind :)

Anyway :rolleyes: who wants a powder that is the fine as  flour. Not me  :drooling:
Stay away from mine then.... :rolleyes:  :dance:

Pure fine powder has more balanced flavor than course powder. Its just what you would use it in. Course powder makes you chew out the flavor, fine powder is balanced and stable 

Back