Best heat killer - avocado?

The other day I had a small inferno raging in my mouth from a nice homegrown caribbean red I ate with lunch. There were a few slices of avocado left over from the earlier prep and I decided they looked tasty. A few chews and down the hatch..and after that the burn was magically doused! 

Way more effective than milk, or anything else I have tried. Anyone else tried avocado to ease the burn?

One of my best friends is a salsa-and-guacamole magician.  She sometimes makes guac with a pretty good load of piquin peppers, and the heat comes on just for a second before the lawyers[1] cool your mouth down, creating a fun "oh, crap this is hot---oooh, nice" dynamic on the tongue.

-NT

[1] Spanish for "lawyer" is "abogado", so I picked up from somewhere or other the habit of calling avocados "Mexican lawyers".  It seems to make native Hispanophones giggle when they get the pun.

ntenny said:
One of my best friends is a salsa-and-guacamole magician.  She sometimes makes guac with a pretty good load of piquin peppers, and the heat comes on just for a second before the lawyers[1] cool your mouth down, creating a fun "oh, crap this is hot---oooh, nice" dynamic on the tongue.

-NT

[1] Spanish for "lawyer" is "abogado", so I picked up from somewhere or other the habit of calling avocados "Mexican lawyers".  It seems to make native Hispanophones giggle when they get the pun.

Do you happen to have the recipe for the piquin guacamole? I love pequins and would like to try that!

TXCG said:

Do you happen to have the recipe for the piquin guacamole? I love pequins and would like to try that!

No, as I say she's sort of a magician and I don't think there is a recipe as such.  Salt, cumin, and lemon juice are all usually involved, and it seems to help a lot to hand-grind the peppers in a molcajete rather than running them through the processor, but it's one of those "put some stuff in, taste, think, add something else, repeat until everything is right" processes.

-NT

Cheap home made guac. (With sour cream as extender, for those of us not blessed with abundant supply) works very well to mellow a burn.

Really nice to take the spike off and allow the flavor through if you want to blend in a super hot to your avacado dip or spread.

Back