• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Best herbs to add to garden?

Hello all,

I've been absent from the forum but still plodding along with a few peppers. This year I am getting a raised bed in a community garden and am very excited to be growing 4-5 types of peppers. I wanted to add a few herbs to the garden as a barrier between my peppers and legumes (I've read mixed messages on whether they should be planted next to each other). I know I want oregano, probably some cilantro, maybe a basil. I would really like a rosemary plant, but from what I've seen, they go crazy and take up a lot more room than I'd want them to. Can a rosemary be kept controlled with regular trimming? Are there any other herbs that I'm not thinking of that might make a good addition?

Thanks!

If you can find Za'atar oregano seeds give it a try! It has a strong growth (slow at first but catches up over the season) with a very pleasant flavor, much more complex than traditional oregano IMO.

Cool!

I was thinking more part 1 here, and you are talking part 2:

Thymus capitatus (also called Satureja capitata) is a species of wild thyme found throughout the hills of the Levant and Mediterranean Middle East.[9] Thyme is said to be a plant "powerfully associated with Palestine", and the spice mixture za'atar is common fare there.[10] Thymbra spicata, a plant native to Greece and to Palestine/Israel and has been cultivated in North America by Syrian, Palestinian, and Lebanese immigrants for use in their za'atar preparations since the 1940s.[11]

Another species identified as "wild za'atar" (Arabic: za'atar barri) is Origanum vulgare, commonly known as European oregano, oregano, pot marjoram, wild marjoram, winter marjoram, or wintersweet.[12] This species is also extremely common in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine, and is used by peoples of the region to make one local variety of the spice mixture.[13]

source

Cool!

I was thinking more part 1 here, and you are talking part 2:

Thymus capitatus (also called Satureja capitata) is a species of wild thyme found throughout the hills of the Levant and Mediterranean Middle East.[9] Thyme is said to be a plant "powerfully associated with Palestine", and the spice mixture za'atar is common fare there.[10] Thymbra spicata, a plant native to Greece and to Palestine/Israel and has been cultivated in North America by Syrian, Palestinian, and Lebanese immigrants for use in their za'atar preparations since the 1940s.[11]

Another species identified as "wild za'atar" (Arabic: za'atar barri) is Origanum vulgare, commonly known as European oregano, oregano, pot marjoram, wild marjoram, winter marjoram, or wintersweet.[12] This species is also extremely common in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine, and is used by peoples of the region to make one local variety of the spice mixture.[13]

source
and thanks for the additional information 👌

If you can find Za'atar oregano seeds give it a try! It has a strong growth (slow at first but catches up over the season) with a very pleasant flavor, much more complex than traditional oregano IMO.
Oooh, that is tempting! My original plan was to rip a bit of oregano out of my friend's garden (I've been able to successfully reroot it before), but I am always curious to try new and interesting things.

Back