Best Inexpensive CFL For Beginner?

Hi Folks!

This is my first year sowing pepper seeds, both hot and sweet. Besides the traditional bell pepper, I've successfully sown cayenne, kung pao, & jalapeno seeds. One of the things I immediately realized is some type of grow light system is essential, at least for my situation. I am trying to come up with a fairly inexpensive system whereby I can place the seedlings on a table the size of a card table. Thus, I've been looking at the CFL T5 systems put out by HydroFarm. The prices seem to be within my budget, but I'm not sure if they are adequate.

I would really appreciate some advice and guidance from those who have gone through this before. Being new to the pepper growing hobby can at times be daunting, because of the endless supply of items to choose from, as well as all the terminology that needs to be learned. Would a couple of 4ft, 4 bulb fixtures be enough to light up and area the size of a card table? They are 216 watts, F54T5/HO Lamps, Full Spectrum 6400K.

Again, thanks for all your help and guidance!

Rattlesnake Blues
(John)

I purchased several HydroFarm CFL housings & bulbs, which weren't a HUGE hit on my wallet. You can find them on Amazon, as well as any hydroponic store. If your budget is really tight, you can get a 6'-8' power strip, get some Y-lighbulb to Power plug adapters and get some CFL household bulbs for them. Several people use those and they work quite well from the pics I've seen...

Managed to figure 4 flats of 18, 3.5" pots fits under a 6 tubeX4 foot T5HO.

4 months max at that density though, and "life support" of nutes every other day needed at the end due to root bound.

Light penetration beginning to be an issue for the final month with a single light fixture on top.

Back