• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Best peppers for powders?

Hello my friends,

What are, in your opinion, the tastiest peppers to make powders from? And what do you use them in?

I am looking to expand my spice rack a bit, and until now I've just powdered what I had. For next season I'd like to really grow a few varieties for the sole purpose of making delicious powders.

I have a smoker so anything is possible.

Fire away!

Not so much for the heat, but the flavor of Aleppo or Urfa Biber will add that aromatic savory to just about anyeverything. The Biber likes smoked.

I'm not so much a superhot guy, but Chris Joyner sent me a 7 Pot Bubblegum powder that boots my Mahooty.

The BEST is to have variety. At least 3, 5 better.

You want sweet, smoky, hot, fruity, earthy, etc.

Oh man I have to break that down? I'll try...

Aleppo, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Ghost, Fatalli, Ancho... phew... but you get the idea. You making Italian? Grilling fish? Chili? Variety is key.

Malarky said:
Choc Hab powder is great.

I will second that....My two favorite peppers for tasty powders in my mind are Chocolate Habanero and Chocolate Scotch Bonnet.

There are several Hungarian varieties that can be used for paprika powder. And you can make smoked paprika powder.

And Im making Aleppo powder this year. I read somewhere it has about the right amount of heat for the pepper flakes you put on pizza.

b3rnd said:
Hello my friends,

What are, in your opinion, the tastiest peppers to make powders from? And what do you use them in?

I am looking to expand my spice rack a bit, and until now I've just powdered what I had. For next season I'd like to really grow a few varieties for the sole purpose of making delicious powders.

I have a smoker so anything is possible.

Fire away!
Ethiopian Brown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For something pretty mild, unique flavor and dries well.....aji panca but they take a very long time to ripen.

Aleppo for something really easy and great flavor. Good production and they dont seem too fussy about climate although milder climates might yield milder powder. Mine are still alive but no longer producing. Its been pretty cold here at night but no hard frost yet.

Smoked i would go straight to bonnets.

Sichuan or one of the popular Chinese peppers are nice too. Beats the heck out of the potential shady produce sometimes exported from China. My dried Sichuan pods are beautiful compared to the stuff at my Asian markets. Im trying Thunder Mountain Longhorn next year. Very cool looking pepper that dries very easy.

Back