• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

best producing chinense?

I am/was planning on growing 3-4 Orange Habanero plants in 2014 at a plot I have at school, but am now reconsidering. I have heard quite a few negative comments on this variety (petroleum, perfumey etc). Therefore I am looking for suggestions. I have Yellow Fatalii, Scotch Bonnet (red and MOA), Chocolate Hab, and Caribbean Red as alternatives. I am looking mainly for taste/productivity...and am "somewhat" committed to a hab type due to overall versatility. Thanks again for helping me get through the hell that is winter...0F as we speak. >:(
Jerry

Orange habs are great peppers, but since you have seed for Yellow Fatalii I should mention that those were some of my best producers this year. I had 2 plants and more pods than I knew what to do with. Plus everyone loves the flavor, and the heat is definitely there.

I don't care much for orange habaneros. I've stopped growing them. Chocolate habaneros taste the best out of all the habanero choices. Caribbean reds are good too. Both of them are very prolific.  A lot of people love the yellow fatalii flavor, but I think it sucks compared to other yellow peppers out there. You should really grow the yellow Scotch bonnet MOA imo. I say grow that, the chocolate habs, and Caribbean reds. My favorite tasting yellow pepper is the yellow 7 pot. Nothing compares so far. I suspect the yellow Scotch bonnet MOA will taste very similar.

If you mind growing something hotter, Naga Morich produces heaps and has a very different flavor profile from habs.
Red and brown chinenses have generally less pronounced "perfumey" flavor to me.

Cya

Datil

7potquezada said:
Carib Reds, great producers, killer flavor and good heat. about equal to a standard hab....just longer lasting imo.
They do produce very well. Another thought would maybe be white habs. They produced well for me, have similar heat to an orange Hab and taste slightly different. Perhaps you should grow a few varieties and see which one you prefer. Everyone has given good advice but it ultimately comes down to your tastes.

To date, my biggest producer were caribbean red and dorset naga. But they say the bahamian goat is a hyperproducer - fortunately i got some seeds and gonna try them this year.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
White Habaneros have been the biggest for me with somewhere near 500 to 1000 pods per plant

Yeah my white habaneros could have been the best producers... but they only started to ripen in the last 2 weeks of the season.  But the one plant I had was 3'x3'x3' had about 60 pods on it.

Reds can't be beat I don't think. But the Chiero Roxa makes neat little purple pods with a killer fragrance. Still experimenting myself so it'll be fun to see what you decide to go with.

mememe said:
To date, my biggest producer were caribbean red and dorset naga. But they say the bahamian goat is a hyperproducer - fortunately i got some seeds and gonna try them this year.
That is one that I don't have seeds for...let me know how it does for you.
Jerry

I heard that sunrise scorpions produce a lot, but mine only produced 3. Then again, the others just produced 1 pepper each, and this was in fall, with leaf spot, in the cold, inside with almost no sun, and no wind to pollinate. I'll let you know come spring. So far, I have had tiny hab plants that produced 20 ish peppers each. Tasted amazing.

My best producer is the Paper Lantern Hab. Meaty, good flavor and consistently produced. Those and Bhut Jolokias will be my main crop this year.

For shear volume, the White Bullet Hab put out the most. A very compact plant and very pretty when it magically loads up with hundreds of pods that just keep coming as fast as you can pick them.

And for honorable mention, 7 Pod "Jonah" has also done well for me just not as much. And the same goes for the Douglah and Douglah SR.

In fairness I should also say that the Lemon Drop produced just as well as the Paper Lantern did for me. However, I'd rather lick a dogs poop chute than eat another Lemon Drop. Eww....

mikeinsc said:
In fairness I should also say that the Lemon Drop produced just as well as the Paper Lantern did for me. However, I'd rather lick a dogs poop chute than eat another Lemon Drop. Eww....
 I totally agree. After reading reviews about citrussy taste etc, i was sold and grew a plant. Lemon in colour yes, prolific yes, citrus taste absolutely not. They have a flavour at the very bottom of the scale for bacatuums in my opinion. Dont get me wrong I love some bacatuums but this chilli is just plain awful.

Back