• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Best Tasting Superhot? and/or best looking unique plants that are usable in recipes?

I have been looking around for some seeds to buy. Had a good look at mattspeppers.com and was really intrigued by his selection of unique varieties. I have seen a lot of interesting purple variants of super hot peppers. I had also noticed on other sites larger varieties of the bhut jolkia.

Mainly looking to spice up my personal garden this summer to further convince friends and family that peppers are awesome to grow and can add a lot to a garden.

I have been looking around for some seeds to buy. Had a good look at mattspeppers.com and was really intrigued by his selection of unique varieties. I have seen a lot of interesting purple variants of super hot peppers. I had also noticed on other sites larger varieties of the bhut jolkia.

Mainly looking to spice up my personal garden this summer to further convince friends and family that peppers are awesome to grow and can add a lot to a garden.

mattspeppers.com is a great place to buy seeds! My experience is that it's hard to give anything hotter than a habanero to friends and family if you want to show them the flavors. Everything above that, they will just feel the heat. If used in food, that's a whole other story, but I have had the most luck with baccatums. I see that Matt sells the Peppapeach, which I think is one of the best-tasting baccatums out there!
Scotch Bonnets are fantastic, and maybe not too hot. But people like different things :) A good-looking one that tastes great would be Hallows Eve!

CGN21500 would be another one to add to your list, with its fantastic flavor, habanero heat level and is great looking too!

mattspeppers.com is a great place to buy seeds! My experience is that it's hard to give anything hotter than a habanero to friends and family if you want to show them the flavors. Everything above that, they will just feel the heat. If used in food, that's a whole other story, but I have had the most luck with baccatums. I see that Matt sells the Peppapeach, which I think is one of the best-tasting baccatums out there!
Scotch Bonnets are fantastic, and maybe not too hot. But people like different things :) A good-looking one that tastes great would be Hallows Eve!
have any experience on the habanada pepper? They look like it would be a great way to introduce the citrusy/flowery flavor into salsas.

Brazilian Starfish is very sweet with a great fruity flavor and it has an unusual, interesting shape. The heat is a bit above Jalapeno level. Great for eating fresh. The plants can be very productive too.

Or you could go with Bishop's Crown instead if the people you are trying to impress have a very low tolerance for heat.

Buena Mulata has about Cayenne level heat, good flavor, and the pods change colors as they ripen, so it can be an attractive plant as well. Essentially, a multicolored Cayenne pepper.

For a good tasting superhot, maybe consider the Yellow Brain Strain. I sometimes taste hints of pineapple with those. It also might be the hottest yellow variety that I have tried.

Tekne Dolmasi is an excellent stuffing pepper. Sweet and heatless when fresh, they taste even sweeter when cooked. Much tastier than store-bought Bell peppers, IMO.

have any experience on the habanada pepper?

Habanada is a nice variety. It has a citrusy taste similar to an orange Habanero but without the heat.

Last edited:
have any experience on the habanada pepper? They look like it would be a great way to introduce the citrusy/flowery flavor into salsas.
I love to grow a few low heat / non heat plants, but so far I haven't really found a favorite. The habanada I grew tasted nada. Or not nearly as much as a regular hab. This year I'm testing the Trinidad Perfume, and a Baria Bonita from Brazil among some others. I see other people love the habanada, so I don't know if I was unlucky with my plant ?

CGN21500 would be another one to add to your list, with its fantastic flavor, habanero heat level and is great looking too!

My take away after a lot of research on this pepper is that it has a delicious, unique flavor when eaten fresh… but one which people struggle to find a use for in cooking, sauces, etc.

Do you find CGN 21500 to be fairly versatile?

Last edited:
My take away after a lot of research on this pepper is that it has a delicious, unique flavor when eaten fresh… but one which people struggle to find a use for in cooking, sauces, etc.

Do you find CGN 21500 to be fairly versatile?
Hard to tell honestly because I am mostly transforming my harvest into sauces and powders made from blended peppers. Also I don't cook much with "raw" peppers... This one is definitily tasty without being insanely hot and is among a handfull of varieties that I enjoy with my lunch at work ;) I would highly recommend it to everyone!

I grew habanadas last year. They had a great flavor, not 100% exactly like a habanero but really close. Oddly enough, they SMELLED spicy - when I had my son (more of a chile-head than me) guess which was which by smell alone, he IDed the nada as the habanero.
I dried a bunch & made a powder that I use all the time when I'm trying for the flavor with a bit less heat (basically mix the two)
The habanada I grew tasted nada. Or not nearly as much as a regular hab. This year I'm testing the Trinidad Perfume, and a Baria Bonita from Brazil among some others. I see other people love the habanada, so I don't know if I was unlucky with my plant ?
Maybe, mine worked great. I assume you gave them exactly the same growing conditions as the hot ones?

Whitehotpeppers.com where I bought mine seeds in 2018 but there was also another seller but I don't remember it's name. You can Ask WHP if they still have some seeds left. Yup, it's quite unique. Smell is floral and sweet melon but it's not sweet at all, more like neutral to quite strong flavour but good.

Whitehotpeppers.com where I bought mine seeds in 2018 but there was also another seller but I don't remember it's name. You can Ask WHP if they still have some seeds left. Yup, it's quite unique. Smell is floral and sweet melon but it's not sweet at all, more like neutral to quite strong flavour but good.
Just ordered from them two days ago, will try to remember to ask next year!

What variety of? You can also try other 🍑 coloured varieties but they may not be the same or good as peach bleeder
So from WHP I ordered,
Naga Smooky Rainbow, Monkey Face Red, Monkey Face Yellow, Aji Pineapple, Scotch Brains, CGN 21500, and the Reaper x SRTSL for funzies.

I also have some sugar rush stripeys coming in and @Bou from this forum is also sending me some hot and super hot crosses that I am super excited for and grateful.

On top of those, I will be growing some thai dragons as they were my introduction into growing my own peppers, as well as some other milder varieties such as jalapeno, serrano, and mariachi.

So from WHP I ordered,
Naga Smooky Rainbow, Monkey Face Red, Monkey Face Yellow, Aji Pineapple, Scotch Brains, CGN 21500, and the Reaper x SRTSL for funzies.

I also have some sugar rush stripeys coming in and @Bou from this forum is also sending me some hot and super hot crosses that I am super excited for and grateful.

On top of those, I will be growing some thai dragons as they were my introduction into growing my own peppers, as well as some other milder varieties such as jalapeno, serrano, and mariachi.
You can also expect at least 2 bonus packs (freebies) in your WHP order; Justin White is known to be a very generous guy!

Back