• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best tasting wild peppers

I've been looking at growing a few different varieties of wild peppers, and have found that there are quite a few to choose from out there.

I'd like to try growing a plant(s) that has these characteristics, if possible:

1)tasty/flavorful

2)prolific in pod production

3)good heat

4)to be grown in pots and overwintered indoors

Can any of you growers that have more experience with these types of peppers either recommend some varieties to try or point me in the right direction for some further research?

thanks,

dvg

Tepin or

sivuli5-1.jpg

Yellow Bird

yellowb16.jpg

Thanks for your input Pepperlover and Willard3.

Willard3, the Yellow Bird is one of the Cumari type varieties I was reading about on this thread:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/15586-cumari-chinense-or-praetermissium/page__p__331253__hl__%2Bbest+%2Bwild+%2Bchile+%2Bpeppers%3F__fromsearch__1#entry331253

From the thread, it seems that the Yellow Bird goes by a number of different names.

But it seems like a tasty variety, that would be worth growing.

And if I can find any seeds for it available out there, I'll definitely try it.

Thanks for your help with this.

dvg

So Yellow Bird is the same as Cumari (the yellow chinense one)? I received some seeds and dried yellow pods from Wayright labeled "Cumari" (yellow), along with some red ones labeled "Cumari Pollux" (red), and as far as I can tell from the internet is that the Yellow Bird and Cumari (yellow chinense one) are the same plant. Seems that information on these is pretty scarce though.

The red one definitely has a fruity loops type of taste. Both taste awesome, and surprisingly kicked my ass a little when I chewed one up. I just tasted both again and the Beam and coke is going down a little too quickly right now. :lol: The red one seems to have a much longer lasting burn, while the yellow has a much more quickly dissipating chinense type of burn. I love the taste of both of them though so I'm going to try to grow both this year. :onfire:

Haha Tyler ,I wish I was enjoying a Beam n coke with ya! The Cumari is Chinense and little yellow hot prolific SOB! And the Cumari Pollux is a C Praetermissum, Lil red ones with purple flowers!
I would say my favorite wild so far is the Cumari pollux, and it also throws out of ton of pods!

So Yellow Bird is the same as Cumari (the yellow chinense one)? I received some seeds and dried yellow pods from Wayright labeled "Cumari" (yellow), along with some red ones labeled "Cumari Pollux" (red), and as far as I can tell from the internet is that the Yellow Bird and Cumari (yellow chinense one) are the same plant. Seems that information on these is pretty scarce though.

The red one definitely has a fruity loops type of taste. Both taste awesome, and surprisingly kicked my ass a little when I chewed one up. I just tasted both again and the Beam and coke is going down a little too quickly right now. :lol: The red one seems to have a much longer lasting burn, while the yellow has a much more quickly dissipating chinense type of burn. I love the taste of both of them though so I'm going to try to grow both this year. :onfire:

Thanks for your input Avon.

I had read that one of the Cumari types had a taste similar to 'Fruit Loops', but wasn't sure which one it was until you had mentioned it in your post here.

Now I'm definitely going to grow that one next summer.

Haha Tyler ,I wish I was enjoying a Beam n coke with ya! The Cumari is Chinense and little yellow hot prolific SOB! And the Cumari Pollux is a C Praetermissum, Lil red ones with purple flowers!
I would say my favorite wild so far is the Cumari pollux, and it also throws out of ton of pods!

The Cumari pollux sounds like a great strain and pretty much fits all of the criteria points I had laid out in my first post on this thread.

I'll try the yellow Cumari chinense variety too and see how well it compares to it's Cumari pollux counterpart.

Thanks for the extra info guys!

dvg

Back