• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best time of the year to order seeds?

Do any of you have a preferred time of the year to start ordering seeds? I would think early fall time would be the best time, as the vendors have probably started replenishing their stocks. Am I right? I guess there's also going to be major delays in the postal system, atm, so perhaps getting those orders in earlier is a good idea.

I have noticed that several vendors have begun offering new varieties and are refilling their stocks. I have already placed orders but I can grow all year round. Otherwise I'd wait until December.

What I usually do is to check when a vendor started adding seeds to the inventory last season. If the first seeds of the season were added in November 2019, then I'll wait for November 2020 to see what is new.

I ordered in December last year but I think I’ll order earlier this year with everything that’s going on. If I had to guess peppers might be a little safer from panic buying than say corn or onions though.

Back