• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best way to prevent plant wilt

I'm having a problem trying to keep my plants from wilting outside. Yes, they are in black pots (unfortunately) I've tried putting a towel over to cover the sunny side of the pot, it only helps slightly. Any proven methods or great ideas would be great. It seems like I have to water the plants every day now and that seems like I'm watering to much because the plants wilt every day. I should say the best way to prevent plant wilt without watering

buy plastic poly sheets from a hydro shop(one side is black and the other is white. cut out enough to wrap around the pot with the white facing out, this will keep the pots cooler(i use it for my hydro buckets)

buy plastic poly sheets from a hydro shop(one side is black and the other is white. cut out enough to wrap around the pot with the white facing out, this will keep the pots cooler(i use it for my hydro buckets)

Thanks bud, I appreciate the great idea! How well does it work for you out of curiousity?

When it first wilts (not hours later), water it. If it bounces back within 15 minutes or so that's a sign that it needs more water. That may mean you must water more often or there are some other options, 1 of which you mentioned.

- Cover the soil top. This can be something breathable if in a pot, or something non-breathable in the ground. You don't want non-breathable in a pot as lack of air and constant surface dampness can promote fungus.

- Put it in a shallow trough to catch water that runs out the bottom of the pot, then you have a bit of a reservoir the soil will soak back up when needed.

- Repot the plant in a larger pot

- Add more soil to the existing pot, around the edges mostly not trying to bury the stem deeper.

Some will say it will wilt in the heat and perk back up later. This is often true but if giving it water perks it up too, then your plant will grow more as a result and be more likely to keep rather than abort blooms and new pods.

Watering every day in pots is not necessarily too much. After over two weeks of > 95F temperatures I am watering all pots twice a day and some 3 times. That can get to be a pain but at least my local weather forecast is showing a drop down to 85-92F for the next week which should help.

Thanks bud, I appreciate the great idea! How well does it work for you out of curiousity?
it keeps my hydro res in the upper 60's. i wrapped a couple soil plants in black pots and after hours in the sun you can touch the pots and they are MUCH cooler than without the poly.

it keeps my hydro res in the upper 60's. i wrapped a couple soil plants in black pots and after hours in the sun you can touch the pots and they are MUCH cooler than without the poly.

Thanks again buddy I really appreciate the help/info!!! I will be sure to get those!!!

it was 103 here in riverside today, i went outside most of my plants were wilting, put them in shade and gave them a drink and bounced back, im sure the soil just of been super hot, im gonna try to find something to cover that pots so it wont get direct sunlight, i guess that's one way to keep the wilting under control?

here its around 95-100 every day and my plants are always wilt in the morning-noon and are fine once the sun is gone.
Also I only water them every 2 weeks or so(they are potted as well).
You could also just paint the pots white like I did.

Also to test how hot the soil is you could stick sticks in different areas and in the middle of the day pull them out and feel them to get an estimate of the soil temperature in that area.

It's summer.

Pay a small child a dollar a day to continually mist them with water and fan them with a palm tree branch. Or just to water them, I dunno. The main gist is that the price of child labour is at an all time low, and maybe there's a kid who wants a token amount of money that you trust.

Thanks for all the replies! Ive decided that Im going to use a plastic poly sheet for the pots, and when I do water Im going to water more thoroughly leaving a saucer to collect any water that leaks out

The other option that avoids having to move sheeting when you water is to add mulch instead, or with a big enough saucer under it you can add water there instead of on top.

Back