Best way to store powder?

I was wondering whats the best way to store peper powder so it's easy to use but keeps well? Also do I need to wash the coffee grinder out before switching varieties when grinding?

I have been keeping my bulk powders in double bagged zip-lock freezer bags and storing them inside an air tight tupperwear container. Then I just re-fill my spice shaker bottles that I have for each powder. I has worked for me for about a year now and I have no moisture problems. Moisture is your enemy when it comes to keeping powders.

As for the coffee grinder, it is best if you wash it between differing varieties, but that takes a lot of time because you want it bone dry before using it again. I have found that a small stiff brush, like a paint brush works well enough for cleaning between pepper varieties.

Its best to store whole pods in the dark in an airtight container and just grind them as needed. With powder its the same, airtight in a dark cool area. I often use silica gel packs to draw away moisture

Instead of the gel packs try some rice. It's very common to store seeds with grains of rice so why not powder. The grains will suck any moisture in there no problems.

I plan to buy the larger unit from Lee Valley but so far I've been able to get some free gel packs from people who get them in their pills, and some people get them free from shoe stores.
You can buy different desiccants online from many places too if needed.

Back