• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Best way to store seed?

I agree with hogleg. I keep mine in little ziploc baggies in padded envelopes atm. Seriously considering doing the ziploc baggies in a baseball card folder like I've seen others do. Easy way to keep them all together rather than scattered throughout different envelopes like I have now.

I received seeds last yr in small 2" x 3" paper envelopes.

I store them in cleaned out peanut butter jars..my tomato and pepper seeds so far.

I only have about 12 packs so the med size jar works for now.....I might have to rethink that with the current seed collection and pepper growing addiction.

charlie5heen said:
Where can I get those bags inside the sleeves?

wal-mart in the hobby and craft isle 
ikeep mine in the zip locks 2x3 's and the 1/2 size snack size zip locks then food saver ant keep in crisper drawer in the fridge 

charlie5heen said:
My idea to store seed is to mix my pepper seed in with uncooked white rice in a film canister to absorb and keep water out.  Good idea or not?
Assuming you are talking long term / prepper type storage because of the rice.  Its a bad idea.  No matter how clean your rice or other grain is, it has bug eggs in it.  I think the most common is mean worms.  Not sure if they will eat your seeds when they hatch, but they are nasty either way.  To store rice long term, you gotta get rid of the O2 so the eggs cant grow. 

I think long term seed storage is about the same.  You protect from extra moisture with barrier and do something to get rid of the O2 in the container.  That's what the survivalist / prepper personal seed banks do.  Most are now using mylar bags for the outter barrier, then they toss i an O2 eater and iron the thing shut.  For food, it works much better than vacuum lock because the bags are harder to puncture and your iron makes a much wider seal.

BTW: Not really a prepper, just dealing with what is already going on... grocery prices.

I use paper packets because they breathe, unlike plastic bags.( even though plastic does breathe a little) I use the free envelopes you get from the bank. I label each one for type and date and put them in a mason jar. I put indicating desiccant in the bottom of the jar. It absorbs the moisture and it treks you shan it isn't working any more, unlike the clear desiccant you get in electronic boxes and pill containers. To go the extra mile, I suck the air out of the mason jar with a hand pump made for this purpose. I then store my jars in a cool, dark place. This is probably more than almost anybody does, but I am storing probably 20,000 seeds and sell them. Tom

cycadjungle said:
I use paper packets because they breathe, unlike plastic bags.( even though plastic does breathe a little) I use the free envelopes you get from the bank. I label each one for type and date and put them in a mason jar. I put indicating desiccant in the bottom of the jar. It absorbs the moisture and it treks you shan it isn't working any more, unlike the clear desiccant you get in electronic boxes and pill containers. To go the extra mile, I suck the air out of the mason jar with a hand pump made for this purpose. I then store my jars in a cool, dark place. This is probably more than almost anybody does, but I am storing probably 20,000 seeds and sell them. Tom
What would you rate the germ rate with this technique?

charlie5heen said:
What would you rate the germ rate with this technique?
A few months ago I pulled some 6 year old Bhut Jolokia seeds and got somewhere close to 90% germination. From my own seeds, I have never had less than 70%. Tom

Back