• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Best way to store seeds?

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, I keep those silica packets from things like jerky and what not..they come in handy.
Yea I will have to keep my eye out for those or just go buy some jerky.

What I use is a scew top tupperware type container and place my seeds in coin flips after seeds are completely dry, place small note inside flip to identify and add the silica packets to bowl and scew top on and place in frig. When I remove the container I allow to sit till reaches room temp to keep the moisture from building up from popping in and out of frig

okie joe said:
What I use is a scew top tupperware type container and place my seeds in coin flips after seeds are completely dry, place small note inside flip to identify and add the silica packets to bowl and scew top on and place in frig. When I remove the container I allow to sit till reaches room temp to keep the moisture from building up from popping in and out of frig
Yea that makes sense...the allowing them to reach room temperature idea. It is one of those things that makes sense but I wouldn't have thought to do it. Thanks.

Josh said:
Thanks QS. Free shipping too that is great. The 20 pack one will be plenty. Do you think they throw in a 21st one to keep the other 20 dry. Eh sorry terrible joke. Thanks for the link though.

No worries m8!

Well,I deseed pods & put on paper plate to dry natural way on air I usually put those to dry not on direct sun but in cool place like in basement for the couple days or in the garage or you can use dehydrator what is fast way but you have to watch you don't burn it after that I put all in plastic containers & zip lock bags label to know what they are then goes in fridge or in basement where is always cool.

915river said:
Well,I deseed pods & put on paper plate to dry natural way on air I usually put those to dry not on direct sun but in cool place like in basement for the couple days or in the garage or you can use dehydrator what is fast way but you have to watch you don't burn it after that I put all in plastic containers & zip lock bags label to know what they are then goes in fridge or in basement where is always cool.
I guess for the dehydrator method it should be put on the lowest setting?

Yes, I have small one with about 8-10 trays have no setting on it but I keep my eye open, usually I air dry all my seeds safest way anyway.

915river said:
Yes, I have small one with about 8-10 trays have no setting on it but I keep my eye open, usually I air dry all my seeds safest way anyway.
Alright thanks. Yea I have been air drying the few I have done. Probably just stick to that.

Josh said:
Hey guys just wanted to know from your experiences which is the best way to store seeds? I have read that after properly drying putting them in your refrigerator is good or placing them in a cool dark place with airflow. Now the refrigerator idea seems to be lacking in terms of airflow. Any ideas?

Put em in a seed thing

Back