• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

better way to keep plants small than pruning?

I got overly eager and planted way too many seeds too soon. Now I have a lot of plants getting too big and at least another month before I can put them in the ground or outside with any confidence. Does anyone have a better way than pruning (and lower light and temp of course) to keep them small until I can move them?

Other than the methods you mention, no. Don't be afraid to prune, it makes them come back much faster.

Lower light, temp, ferts, and (if possible) water. Light and temp are often enough on their own. Pruning..... I'm not a fan of pruning young plants unless you really need to. Some people "top" their plants to encourage additional node growth, since pods are only put out at the nodes. Do what you feel most comfortable with. I get plenty of pods without topping.

Out of curiousity, what are your issues with topping? With a month to go that might slow them down (height-wise at least) just enough and then you'll come out with two growing tops as opposed to one. Seems like a win-win to me. That's my just in case plan... I'll just pinch off the very top if things get too wild.

Other than degree of heat and hours of light I too see no other option really. Stop feeding obviously..

AaronRiot said:
Out of curiousity, what are your issues with topping? With a month to go that might slow them down (height-wise at least) just enough and then you'll come out with two growing tops as opposed to one. Seems like a win-win to me. That's my just in case plan... I'll just pinch off the very top if things get too wild.

Other than degree of heat and hours of light I too see no other option really. Stop feeding obviously..
No issues with it, just wondering if there was a better way.

Thanks all, snippy snippy time

As was already mentioned cut back on water and fertilizers. Cool temps also hold back growth.

It's a technique commonly used in commercial nurseries especially before the plants are shipped to the stores. It keeps the growth down and the plants compact so that they look nice and meet certain requirements.

And the plants are often topped several times when at the nursery and it doesn't often hurt them. I'd top them if needed.

Back