• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut flowered, now pods!!!

I am so stoked! Both of my Bhut Jolokias I plan on growing indoors got flowers a couple weeks ago, tonight I checked on them and they are setting pods!!! I would take pics, but the pods are small and hard to see, my cameras just shows fuzzy flowers when I zoom in. Hopefully they will be large enough to get pics of next week.

I thought they needed wind or insects to pollinate to set pods, what happened? I dont really care since I am going to have pods, just curious.

Yay! If you want the fruit to set just shake the plant or if you have a greenhouse buy a petrol powered blower.

I would imagine a cheap, small fan (either on low 24/7 or on a timer) would be a nice automatic pollinator if you want to be sure of pollination success. Not to mention air circulation is always good. Otherwise, as Nova said, just shaking the plant/branches is a good manual method.

Every flower contains both male and female parts, meaning successful pollination does not require insects to fly from flower to flower (but if they land on it they'll probably shake some pollen off, thus pollinating it). A gnat or other insect could have done this, a light draft, or maybe some movement when the flowers were open. Anything to move the pollen.

If it's 100% you want then use my Acme Pollinator;

AjaxPollinator.jpg

99.99% guaranteed! Be sure it's damp before you twiddle, twaddle, and dawdle. ;)

Matt50680 said:
I am so stoked! Both of my Bhut Jolokias I plan on growing indoors got flowers a couple weeks ago, tonight I checked on them and they are setting pods!!! I would take pics, but the pods are small and hard to see, my cameras just shows fuzzy flowers when I zoom in. Hopefully they will be large enough to get pics of next week.

I thought they needed wind or insects to pollinate to set pods, what happened? I dont really care since I am going to have pods, just curious.

Always nice to grow a couple indoors as you know i do. Cant wait to see your picks Matt!!!!. Do you have them in a south or west facing window. I think those are your best bets. They work for me anyways.

Actually neither, they are in the back room under 3 double bulb 4 foot shop lights. LOL I do things wrong wrong wrong and end up with good alot I guess. Looked this morning and I have the same thing on my orange and white Habs, tiny pods set, scorpion is starting to flower too. I think I will leave these 5 plants indoors under the fluorescents since I havent noticed a real rise in the electric bill. Maybe I should adjust the light cycle though, they are on 18 hours off 6 hours right now.

Back