• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jalokia - Red or Green

I have a Bhut Jalokia plant in the greenhouse that now has quite a few pods on it now. Some of the pods have turned red, but most are still green. I have been eating the small red ones lately and they are outrageously HOT. I completely love the taste these little devils. Yesterday I was spending some alone time with them and was wondering if they taste different red or green (like japs or NM chiles). Also, I began to wonder what the Bhut Jalokia vets on this site do - let them all turn red? I know the obvious answer is to just pull a green one and find out. But I still want to know what you guys do, let them all go red or no?
Bhut_Compressor.jpg
[/img]

I ate a green Naga Morich that blew off of my plant in high winds. I did not enjoy the flavor, but it was still pretty hot. I am curious to see what others think as well.

I'd wait until they at least started to turn if you can't wait on them to fully ripen. Some annuum varieties are fine green, but most chinense varieties aren't very enjoyable green IMO.

Yeah, I have found the green ones to be pretty bitter. I think most have pulled a green one off and done it, but I doubt many of the same people would want to do it again. Just yucky. lol

Back