• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jolokia bud drop

Hi there,

I live in the UK and have been growing these jolokia plants for some time now, they look nice and healthy big plants but they have dropped their buds a few times. I try not to over water them and feed every now and again with some tomato feed which is not too high in nitrogen. Would the weather be a factor as we have not had much sun lately, I normally keep these plants in my greenhouse but it's been too cold for that over the past few weeks. Lets hope we get some sun soon.

I've have some other types of chillies in my greenhouse that seem fine, I have heard jolokia can be a pain to set fruit. The buds drop off before the flowers even open.

They grow in 5 litre pots.

2012-06-09201238.jpg

+1 to woody. The only thing I will add is you may consider putting them in bigger pots. A 5 gallon will pay dividends in the long run. But like Woody says, once the weather is right, they will start setting pods. I had a lot drop before they decided to catch.

Happy Growing.

Check to see if the flowers have pollen. When the plant is ready it will start to produce. Looks like they are inside. Try to harden them off and try to get them outside if you can.

You probably have a shorter growing season like I have here in Ohio, and like me, can't stand to see flowers come on, then drop without making a pepper. Last year I had the same problem. I went to the nursery and got Tomatoe and Pepper set, sprayed the plants about once a week, trying not to before a rain. Worked very well for me. After the plants started setting lots of fruit, I stopped spraying them and they continued producing peppers. There is information about this in Boslands & DeWitts Complete Chile Pepper book pages 27,28,&104. Good luck. P.S. The peppers in my hands in my member picture are from that crop. Chilidon

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Back