• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Bhut Jolokia Dill Pickles

JSKaiser

Banned
Just got some pickles and decided I would like a spicy dill pickle. So I took a 32oz jar of pickles, added two halved dried bhut jolokias, 1 tbsp bhut jolokia red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp chile pequin white vinegar, dash of Calvins 2.0, dash of my own seasoning blend, and a clove of purple garlic. It of course hasnt had time to soak into the pickles, but the juice is already hyped up real good.

Just thought this would be interesting. Any thoughts?

Sounds very interesting. Let me know how much the brine tones down all those hot chiles. Were they spicy to begin with or just regular dills? A guy here in Topeka makes hot dills with mustard and horseradish that will blow your head off, but the heat passes quickly. They do take your breath away, though for a while.

Should warm things up but not like eating a pepper directly unfortunatly. I will throw piquins in when I make pickles or whatever is ripe. Tames the pepper a little and vinegar gets warm. I dont know if its because of the thickness of the Cuke, whole or halved, that it tames it but it will take a couple of weeks to get a desired effect.

We got 3 huge buckets of infused pickle chips- one w/ datil, habanero, and jalapeno. Gettin ready for the 2010 Rosendale Pickle Fest (Rosedale NY 12472- in November)... its fun to just throw different spices in and see how it infused.. yours seem extremely hot... sounds like the makings of a new eating contest! ha ... let us know how they are in a week or so!

xo Nicole

Ill keep everyone updated. I have a lot of experiments going on right now. Trying to mix in the bhut jolokia with different things and see how it comes out. I have other peppers being put to use too.

I wish there was a hot stuff eating contest here. Only thing I know of is the Chile Pepper Festival in September. I will be entering the Bhut Jolokia eating contest. Most eaten in 2 min, and most eaten in 5 min are two different competitions. What do you think, 2 or 5?

After that 4" Bhut and satans gift of a Yellow 7 to me I think I could handle the 5 min.

Hey Sterling those sound great!I make mine with 4-5 bhuts and 2-3 tbl xxx horseradish,loads of garlic, and mustard seed.They are nearly lethal!Crushing the chiles seems to make them infuse better.

I tried this a couple of months ago, I thought I was inventing something new! LOL! So far I am not that impressed with the flavour transfer.
I think that the way forward might be to start from scratch and put the heat in from day one.

Sterling, I don't have a comment on the pickles, but how about we get a couple pools going (just for fun, no $$) on how many bhuts you'll eat and how long before you hurl? :rofl:

JUST KIDDING!

Have you seen the contest before? How many people enter and how many bhuts do they eat?

I havent seen the contests personally, but have watched them before on video. I believe last years winner was 9 bhuts. I think that was the 5 min. Ill have to check and find out. All I know is that yellow 7 was a monster. Like it was getting revenge on me or something. Ridiculous. Caught me offguard for sure. Ill be ready next time.

If I do the contest, I think Im just gonna go head first. As soon as the timer starts, just start putting em in and chewing. Not looking back until the buzzer goes off! The Bhuts I can handle. Some of the 7 pod varieties I have had seem to catch me more. I know they have different amounts and types of concentration. Not sure which one it is that gets the best of me. Some 7s arent that bad, whereas, some are like hell in my skull! Not the case with bhuts. They seem to always be the same to me. Dont get me wrong, they are most definitely hot, but I am more accustomed to them I guess.

As for the pickles, it has been a good while, and I have since eaten a few and had a buddy of mine have some too. Really good. I ended up takin some out and poking at em with a fork a few times just to puncture a little for more "soakage" as my buddy Mike says. Then I added another bhut. Coming along nicely. Probably going to make a large batch soon. For those interested, Ill probably have some up for sampling.

SalsaLady.... Now that I think about it, youve actually got some of the Red Wine Ghost Vinegar on the way that I used in this batch of pickles. Let me know what you think!!

I'm on it!

And for the contest....

eat things like soda crackers/saltines before the contest, no greasy chips. Right before the contest, eat some ice cream or whip cream. Don't just suck on the whip cream gas~~~~LOL~~~~~~~~ you don't want THAT feeling~~~~

Here's some inspiration for you........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV5YH2dNvpk&feature=related

i did some a few months back with fatalii and they were awesome!!

you should try that sterling, the fatalli pepper has and wonderful flavor and i know its one of you favorites

hey by the way dont be a stranger keep in touch, the end of the season coming soon and i wanted to know if you still willing to mak the trip, i would sure hate to see all those plants go to waste email me leut me know

thanks your friend joe

Pardon me for being a doubting tom but when I was in Detroit, my Bangladeshi friend gave me a bag of fake Nagas that looked exactly like Naga Jolokias should look but very less spicy. I ate about a dozon in raw before I could start getting some heat in my mouth.

This vid would be great if another member had tasted them.

Still Good job Mandy.!!

Back