• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Bhut Jolokia & Piquante - how to germinate?

I bought the above seeds on eBay.

I've put them in damp paper towel inside a plastic tub.

These have been inside an electric propagator for 23 and 14 days respectively, with no signs of life.

Have I got bad seeds? Is there a better way? Should I wait a bit longer?

Thanks for any ideas,
Simon.

Hi,

I planted my Jolokia 25 days ago directly into soil and they started to sprout a few days ago. So no needs to worry I think.

Some pepper sprout faster than Jolokia (for instance my TSB T took only 14 days)

Not saying your seeds are bad, but I germinated 21 different plant varieties using the same method and all varieties except 1 had at least 3 seeds pop within 10 days. I placed my baggies next to my cable box inside of my TV stand. I'm impatient and to me 23 days is too long. The 14 days I would still work with. But the truth is, superhots can take more than a month to pop sometimes.

Another tip, avoid Ebay if you can. If you want to buy seeds visit the vendor vault here and find some reputable sellers. I'm partial to pepperlover.com.

Thanks for the input.

I've just started growing for the first time this year, and all my others have sprouted. These successful ones were also from eBay - but via a registered dealer.

The Piquante and Bhuts were not from a registered dealer. I will probably forget about buying the next batch of seeds I was considering - unless I can get them from a reputable dealer, as you suggested.

Perhaps I'll wait a bit longer..... I currently have some Basil seeds in the propagator anyway.

I assume seeds are slightly harder to get here in the UK than in the US....

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure pepperlover.com ships international. I believe I've seen Judy post something about it before. There are others as well I'm sure. I also believe Jungle Rain (another reputable seller) ships seeds international as well.

You got the www.chileseeds.co.uk that's where I always buy mine. Consider yourself lucky, I don't think we have that kind of website in France.

[...] at least 3 seeds pop within 10 days. I placed my baggies next to my cable box inside of my TV stand. I'm impatient and to me 23 days is too long. The 14 days I would still work with. [...]

I didn't noticed that simon04 put the seeds in paper towel. I was talking about sprouting seeds into the soil at 2cm deep, so you of course you see it sprouting later. So yeah maybe 10 days or something into paper.

I also had good results once directly in a saucer with 2mm of water. But I don't like to manipulate seeds when sprouting so I don't do that anymore.

I planted 6 in soil (inside) on the 1st. One up after 9 days and one up today at 11 days, for an average of 10 days, for those 2. The other 4 I'll bet have a good chance of coming up too, but when? I just started growing peppers and I'm finding 14 days and longer is not unusual. That's longer than most vegetables I grow. I've got enough seeds that I don't start peppers in paper but if I was really worried about them I would.

Ive had quick and outstanding success with the seedling heat mat and jiffy pellet method! They say presoaking the seeds doesnt help, but I seem to think it does, because it softens the seeds and obviously they will be wet .

I have around 25 varieties germinated this year. Most were up between 7-18 days. however, I`ve had some sprouts just come up of Trinidad Scorpion Sweet after 45 days. Sometimes it just takes a lot longer than you believe it will. I`ve had very variable germination times with Bhuts - 12 days all the way up to 30 days. Just keep them warm and leave them alone.

I`d say the same as everyone else about ebay for seeds, with the exception of the seller karmalies0805. He has good seeds and excellent customer service. Nice guy, too.

Lesson learned - be careful who I buy seeds from....

I guess I should leave them longer... I heard soaking in fertiliser helps... has anyone tried this?

My bhuts always seem to take longer to germinate than other pepper varieties.

I would be leery of eBay, as others have said. I can testify to the quality and service of Old Barn Nursery myself. I would bet other vendors who post here regularly are good as well.

I have sown several different superhots into sieved multi purpose compost and left in the airing cupboard at a steady 23 degrees and had very little success. I like the idea of a wet towel so at least you can see if its working or not!

I have sown several different superhots into sieved multi purpose compost and left in the airing cupboard at a steady 23 degrees and had very little success. I like the idea of a wet towel so at least you can see if its working or not!

Precisely why I prefer the paper towel method - I haven't had any better ideas as yet.

Since posting this, I have had some more success..... (Sort of)....

I had given my Ma a pair of the Bhuts and Grow Pellets to try for me, and one has started growing :dance:

Precisely why I prefer the paper towel method - I haven't had any better ideas as yet.

Since posting this, I have had some more success..... (Sort of)....

I had given my Ma a pair of the Bhuts and Grow Pellets to try for me, and one has started growing :dance:

Gonna try a bit of both next year. all of a sudden things are now starting to pop up all over the place (except the superhots) As you will know Simon the weather has been cold with low light levels but the last few days of sunshine really seems to be making a difference to the tiny plants. Might have to get me some lamps!

Gonna try a bit of both next year. all of a sudden things are now starting to pop up all over the place (except the superhots) As you will know Simon the weather has been cold with low light levels but the last few days of sunshine really seems to be making a difference to the tiny plants. Might have to get me some lamps!

I've started off with some DIY lamps myself, and they're really useful.

Back