• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Bhut Jolokia seeds planted

Planted four Bhut's on Sat. I realize I am getting a late start, but I just got some seeds and wanted to see if I can grow them in Louisiana. Currently have them in 8.5 oz strofoam cups with a mix of MG organic potting soil, orchid mix and a little bone meal. They are sitting on top of an upright freezer covered with saran wrap. I just checked the temps in each cup and it is registering 82*. Soil is moist and I am hoping they germinate and make it to produce nice fruits.

I also have a tabasco plant that is not looking good. It's about 3-4" tall and is currently planted in a 6 or 8" pot. The wind here has been horrible so I have my plants inside sitting under artificial lights. They are currently outside under my patio getting the evening sun. Had some aphids and have been spraying with soapy water and an organic spray for veg plants. I have not noticed any active aphids. I also lost a jap plant. Not sure what happened. Had it outside yesterday and forgot to pick it up before the rain came. It was all wilted and the leaves were brown.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at growing peppers so I am curious to see if I can keep them healthy and producing some fruit.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. This forum has provided alot of good info. Very difficult to get any type of good seeds or soil locally as all Lowes and HD carry is MG.

Be carefull with the MG Organic Potting Mix. Another user posted his problems springing seedlings using it yesterday.
If there are any large chunks they should be removed so they wont obstruct the seedling from comming up through the soil.

FadeToBlack said:
Be carefull with the MG Organic Potting Mix. Another user posted his problems springing seedlings using it yesterday.
If there are any large chunks they should be removed so they wont obstruct the seedling from comming up through the soil.

Or give the young roots a field of boulder sized obstacles.

Checked the Bhuts this morning and noticed a gray film beginning to form on two of the cups. I think it may be too much moisture as I had the cups covered with saran wrap. The soil temp was 85*, maybe a little too warm. So I removed the wrap and placed the cups under a flourescent light. Hopefully it will dry it out a bit. Will place back on my freezer this evening.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Bhuts002.jpg

Bhuts003.jpg

chilehead70301 ....... You have some nasties going on there it looks like. Some kind of mold/fungus. Those seeds may not sprout.

Good luck & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Looks like damping off fungus. I had this problem whenever I would try putting the plastic cover over my seeds germination tray. I found it much easier to just leave it off and just water them every day so they would never get bone dry but stay moist enough so that they would germinate. Using this method almost all of them ended up germinating. The only ones that ended up ruined were the ones that were covered in sunlight, which was unfortunately a big n00b mistake.

Should I throw away the 4 seeds I have planted, repot the seed w/fresh soil or leave as is and treat the fungus? I don't want the seeds to be diseased so if discarding them would be best, let me know.

Dont throw them away. Get a fan going in the spot they're at (if you can) to get some good air circulation. Take it easy on the watering for a few days as well. If the conditions dont go away in a few days, then I'd say it may be a problem. I've used peat pellets a lot and they tend to develop the same fungus. Once detected I just open up the domes and air them out for a few days and the mold goes completely away. Had near 100% germination on them. Best of luck

Straticus said:
Dont throw them away. Get a fan going in the spot they're at (if you can) to get some good air circulation. Take it easy on the watering for a few days as well. If the conditions dont go away in a few days, then I'd say it may be a problem. I've used peat pellets a lot and they tend to develop the same fungus. Once detected I just open up the domes and air them out for a few days and the mold goes completely away. Had near 100% germination on them. Best of luck

thanks straticus. I appreciate your response. I have them sitting under a ceiling fan with a flourescent light. I'm hoping that helps. I actually only put very little water when I planted the seeds on sat and have not added any since. If these make it, then I will probably bottom feed and maybe spray the tops.

Back