• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Bhut Jolokias taking FOREVER to sprout!

I started these about 15-20 days ago. I have 1 that has sprouted out of 7. First time growing these, are they supposed to take this long? I'm using one of those Jiffy 50 greenhouses. Leaving on the dryer when we dry clothes. Its around 70 everyday now and days like today are supposed to be 80. Any ideas?

To be fair, theres about 6 other types that im growing in that same container that arent doing much either.. Bells/poblanos are all sprouted..

If the soil doesn't get to a consistent temp of at least 75-80, they will definitely take longer to sprout - I think the ideal temp is 85. I always use a heating mat, and assuming the seed is good, most of my superhots sprout within 2 weeks, and some early birds even pop in under a week.

Bottom line, unless you have something to consistently apply heat directly to the soil, you'll just have to be patient. Annum varieties on the other hand...

IMO, The most important thing is your temperature you are trying to germinate at...ideal is 86F/30C....82-86 will do fine...if you get the seeds too hot, you will cook them...too hot is 95+ for any extended period of time....

and keep the medium you are starting in moist, not wet...seeds will rot if they are kept in soggy medium...

from my experience with Bhuts, there is a drop off in days to germinate with each degree you get under ~80 and I hate to say it but 70 is way low...they will eventually germinate if they don't rot from the wet soil...but you need to kick your temp up...

I am getting 90%+ germination from my Bhut seed stock in 8-10 days...

seems like dks thinks like I do...

Once they've sprouted you can remove the heat or leave it. I have some that stayed on the heat till all the rest sprouted and they grew fine. Another tray I removed to room temp and I didn't notice any difference at all to be honest.

What kind of heating pad? Where to buy it? I have a ton of seeds in germination right now and not many are performaing.. I keep the tray/soil moist but not too wet. I think the problem is the heat. Or atleast thats what it sounds like... Thanks for the input guys!

What kind of heating pad? Where to buy it? I have a ton of seeds in germination right now and not many are performaing.. I keep the tray/soil moist but not too wet. I think the problem is the heat. Or atleast thats what it sounds like... Thanks for the input guys!
I am using a hydrofarm heating pad and thermostat purchased at amazon.com for around $46 plus shipping.That setup seems to working for me so far. You can sometimes find the Jiffy 72 cell minigreenhouse with heat pad at the bigbox stores. You will want to put styrofoam (such as a cooler lid) under the heat mat to make sure the heat isnt escaping to the surface you have it sitting on.

if you try and gently dig up the seeds in the soil and if they still look good then you're fine. sometimes it just takes a while. my longest seed germination was 9 weeks. lol.

I started mine without a heat pad, but kept my whole grow room in the low eighties. It took 15 - 21 days to germinate 30 out of 40 seeds. They're pretty good sized plants now though, but way slower than my C. annuum which already have flowers. Post germination they've grown at an identical rate to my habs, but the habs germinated fairly earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5pX3V3Pj4

Back