• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Bhut not so unbearable??

So here are two semi-rip bhut pods I chewed up (and spit since I was on an empty stomach), one two days ago and one today, and neither of them really lit me up. I mean they are hot like my first habaneros or liek when I ate two habaneros at once a few days ago, but not horrible and I didn't need a drink after the first sip of water.

I'm in NYC so its been freakishly hot here lately and many of my bhutsin smaller pots havnt poded because of that, but they all wilt neartly daily, except the poding plant. It is a bit light green though s I beleive it needs some nitrogen which IM going to give it tomorrow, as well as some calcium since it got a brown spot on a couple pods..

But still.. Is it just my tolerance? I doubt I grew dud bhuts. They look insane too.. I guess the only way to tell would be to have someone who doesn't eat hot things try a tiny piece or like put a seed in their mouth or something, but idk.. I know on the one that I ate today, my tongue in the middle across felt like it was shrinking and on fire and it hurt to stick it out and stretch it, but I was able to talk and keep calm the whole time...

First pod from two days ago:
f2020998.jpg

2ca69634.jpg

Pod from today:
a6c7433f.jpg

15c4e871.jpg

Let them ripen and then see how hot they are. Are you eating the whole pod or just the tip? Eat the seeds and all..

Just before they are fully ripe (red with some orange tinge, but NO green), they will be at their hottest. Also, swallowing the pod will most likely increase the heat you experience substantially. Bhuts tend to hit the back of the throat more than anywhere else. So spitting the pod out will greatly lessen the effects on the throat. And 2 habaneros together will be about 600,000 scovilles so that's pretty hot! Bhut jolokias have a huge amount of variability in their heat and backyard growers like you and I may not be able to get them to their peak (not saying you aren't skilled enough, but I know I'm not ;) ). The CPI study that vaulted the Moruga Scorpion into the world rankings found that on the low end of the spectrum, Bhut Jolokias were only ~300,000 scovilles. So that's right on line with a habanero.

Just before they are fully ripe (red with some orange tinge, but NO green), they will be at their hottest. Also, swallowing the pod will most likely increase the heat you experience substantially. Bhuts tend to hit the back of the throat more than anywhere else. So spitting the pod out will greatly lessen the effects on the throat. And 2 habaneros together will be about 600,000 scovilles so that's pretty hot! Bhut jolokias have a huge amount of variability in their heat and backyard growers like you and I may not be able to get them to their peak (not saying you aren't skilled enough, but I know I'm not ;) ). The CPI study that vaulted the Moruga Scorpion into the world rankings found that on the low end of the spectrum, Bhut Jolokias were only ~300,000 scovilles. So that's right on line with a habanero.

+1 Agree

Have you been watering them everyday when they wilt? In my experience over watering will cause a loss in heat in bhuts. Its a real pain when they are in pots and you have to deal with a heatwave. It should only be temporary though.

I have no problems with habs too. I also ate tons of dried bhut jolokias before this growing season. The bhuts from my garden are unbearable hot. Everything seams extra hot this season /shrug. I don't think my tolerance has dropped.

IDK... I have been watering daily but thats only because if I dont, they will die.. At least the ones inthe smaller pots will. I know that becsue they wilt to the point of the stems dropping a bit almost every morning.. But I am gonna probably try the other one today.. I would agree that spitting it out makes it not as horrible, but I have done the same with habs as well.

Maybe I'll send one off to one of the THP people to taste for me?

Let them ripen and then see how hot they are. Are you eating the whole pod or just the tip? Eat the seeds and all..

Oh and I am eating the entire pod. Seeds and all.. The tip I just tried first to see what it was like, but ate the whole thing..

Hmm, I eat both whole. Why spit them out? I think watering them that often is too much. If it doesn't rain I water mine every two days. Mine are also in the ground and rather large.

That's the thing. Mine are in pots so The ones in One gals wilt daily an havent podded but the one in the 10ish gal doesn't wilt unless I miss a day but it is soo hot and dry. I was expectig fire. I might mail a pod out to see what others think lol

Yep. Sounds exactly like the issue I ran into last year. Had 300+ plants in pots. It was so hot I had to water everyday, sometimes twice in order to keep them from dying. No heat in the peppers until the temperatures dropped and I went back to watering every other day.

This year I planted most of the mine in the ground. I gave up on the potted plants about 2 months ago, when I saw that the heatwave wasnt going to let up. I haven't had any problems with peppers not being hot this year.

I'm not noticing this, I've had to water once or twice a day for about 2 months now and the peppers seem no less hot than they otherwise would.

Back