• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut Orange Copenhagen Use Suggestions

My BOC just keeps putting out the pods.  This plant is huge and is my heaviest producer this year.  The problem is.........I don't like them.  This is my first time growing and tasting them.  They are just too 'floral' tasting to me.  Last year I grew a Bhut Jolokia that  was decent.  I made some sauce and even jelly from the pods.  Tasting them straight up wasn't near as 'floral' as these BOC's.  Right now I have one of those plastic grocery bags from Kroger half full from just this week and there is a lot more on the plant.  There is a lot of season left so I expect to get ton's of pods off of this thing.
Has anyone done anything with them that turned out good?  I know taste is subjective but just looking for ideas here.  I thought of trying a sauce but I don't expect to get past that taste.
​I may end up just tossing them.  I haven't found anyone around here that wants them.  

Last year I grew King BOC and it was a heavy producer. We ended up making hot sauce with some carrots, onion, garlic, vinegar and honey.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Tybo said:
My BOC just keeps putting out the pods.  This plant is huge and is my heaviest producer this year.  The problem is.........I don't like them.  This is my first time growing and tasting them.  They are just too 'floral' tasting to me.  Last year I grew a Bhut Jolokia that  was decent.  I made some sauce and even jelly from the pods.  Tasting them straight up wasn't near as 'floral' as these BOC's.  Right now I have one of those plastic grocery bags from Kroger half full from just this week and there is a lot more on the plant.  There is a lot of season left so I expect to get ton's of pods off of this thing.
Has anyone done anything with them that turned out good?  I know taste is subjective but just looking for ideas here.  I thought of trying a sauce but I don't expect to get past that taste.
​I may end up just tossing them.  I haven't found anyone around here that wants them.
Weird Tybo! I love them circle-sliced and 2-3 circles put on a burger sitting on the grill (diced is too much, everywhere on the burger for me). I either use BOC or Chocolate Bonnet/Hab for this application.

EDIT:
"Nobody around here wants them"

^^^^If "around here" is your home/location, that really sucks. (Nobody eats hot here, either). If "around here" is thehotpepper.com..............
I would be most appreciative for a few. I didn't grow one this year.......

Let me know! We'll figure out price and stuff!

I dehydrated most of mine and made a powder out of them that I use on lots of stuff.  I also made a sauce with BOCs and blackberries that was good.  

Harry_Dangler said:
I dehydrated most of mine and made a powder out of them that I use on lots of stuff.  I also made a sauce with BOCs and blackberries that was good.  

i5yfabZ.jpg

saiias said:
Last year I grew King BOC and it was a heavy producer. We ended up making hot sauce with some carrots, onion, garlic, vinegar and honey.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Harry_Dangler said:

Yeah, I thought about a sauce but was afraid that floral taste would come through too much.  Were any of your sauces fermented?  Cooked?  A little more info please.

Bhuter said:
Weird Tybo! I love them circle-sliced and 2-3 circles put on a burger sitting on the grill (diced is too much, everywhere on the burger for me). I either use BOC or Chocolate Bonnet/Hab for this application.

EDIT:
"Nobody around here wants them"

^^^^If "around here" is your home/location, that really sucks. (Nobody eats hot here, either). If "around here" is thehotpepper.com..............
I would be most appreciative for a few. I didn't grow one this year.......

Let me know! We'll figure out price and stuff!

Glad you liked them Bhuter!  I think that would ruin my burger! :crazy:
By "around here" I meant here at home.  Im sure there are plenty on this site that would like them.
Check your messages.  I just might be able to send some your way.

The Bhut Blackberry sauce was cooked. We like it over ice cream, cheesecake, pie, pancakes and waffles.  It's hot but not over the top.  It's called Blackberry Bourbon Ghost Pepper Sauce.  We've made several batches over the past couple of years.  I've made it with BOCs, Red Dangler's Bhuts, Assam Yellows and Salmon Bhuts.  The recipe makes several bottles and is:
5 cups of Blackberries
1/2 cup of Blueberries
9 Ghost Peppers .... I used a couple more
1 cup of Bourbon
1 Cup of White Vinegar
1/4 tsp Xantham Gum
Simmer on low berries, bourbon, vinegar, and peppers in a sauce pan till berries are liquid-ish
Pour in blender and add Xantham gum
Blend thoroughly
Strain out any solids
Add salt or sugar to taste
Bottle and refrigerate

Threehundredc said:
I have BOC growing now. Because I heard it was a great flavor.i guess I'll find out soon

Let me know your opinion.  I was told mine may have crossed with something.  The pictures I was shown of theirs didnt look like mine so maybe that explains the taste.

Back