• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut pods refuse to turn.

Hey all.

This is my first year growing peppers of any variety - I'm growing a bhut that I started germinating last December. I've got nine pods that have been hanging around for about two and a half weeks at full size, steadfastly refusing to turn orange or red. I had issues with draining, but have recently corrected that. I'd really appreciate some advice if anybody's had this problem in the past. I'm thinking I may need to take the plant in soon - the nights are getting down to the low 50s here.

IMG_20120910_101010.jpg
IMG_20120910_101033.jpg

I heard 70+ days for ripening. Not 100% sure though. All of my pepes (not Bhuts) are taking at least 2 full months from full size to ripe.

I had the same problem until I introduced a full spectrum fert with plenty of micro-nutes, and plenty of sulfur. I buried match books below the root system at the initial plant out but that sulfur was used up pretty quick. I fertilized in early July and quickly found that I had more peppers than I could handle. If your nights are getting cool, you may want to try this now for a quick shot in the arm, per-se, or try this out next year.

The first pod takes fooooooooooorever. Then the rest seem to ripen faster. And those in the second pics look like habs, not bhut

After
those are not bhuts! the skin are too smooth for bhuts. heres a pic of my bhut.

After tasting one, I can confirm that they definitely aren't bhuts. :tear:. The heat is around that of a habenero, perhaps a little less. Really a big let down after 200+ days of growing to get nine medium peppers, but such is life. The seeds were part of a Christmas present, though I imagine you all here know not to buy seeds like this anyways.

I am a little curious as to what I've actually got here, though. Does anybody have advice for narrowing it down?

IMG_20120919_102957.jpg

IMG_20120919_103007.jpg

IMG_20120919_103131.jpg

My first Bhut pod has just finally started to turn after just about a month (first noticed the pod on 08-17) :

First%20Pod%20Turning_zps9c68de1d.jpg

Back