• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense bhut seed help...

Hello fellow pepper people. I have a quick question about some bhuts that i rescently received. About 2 yrs i ordered a bunch of exotic hot pepper seeds from a company i found online. didnt have to much luck. i gave a few seeds to a friend... and the same happened with his attempt. But then he told me the other day that he gave a few to his mom, and well... she had 1 bush that grew, flowered and fruited. He gave me a half dozen fresh peppers (average/bigger size) SO... my question is, what is the best way to extract the seeds out of them and to dry the seeds, so i can plant them in the near future? Thanks alot guys. :)

Just cut the pod open, scrape them out with a knife. Lay them on a paper plate, paper towel, coffee filter, piece of paper, etc. and let them air dry indoors for a week or so. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

The pods are red/fully ripe, correct?

pods are ripe. and still fresh. I remember a few years ago i tried that and mold started to grow on the seeds, and the small bits if pepper on them. I really dont want to get down and dirty with these guys... i toothpicked 1 the other day and tongue tested it. WOW!!!! would a low over hurt the seeds at all? paper towel air exposed is the best way tho?

Avon does it the same way i do it works very well

after i extract the seeds i freeze the pods or put them in vinegar with a little salt and keep them in the fridge, freezing actually works better

thanks your friend Ajijoe

I get them out by whatever means I find appropriate(knife, spoon, fingers, etc.) then put them on a paper plate. IMO the paper plate helps them dry out a little quicker.

if you live in a very humid climate, mold may appear but here in north Texas, I just do as the others do...scrape the seeds out (usually with nitrile gloved hands) and put them on a paper plate in my computer room on a shelf in the dark for a while...

Back