smokers Big Green Egg

Does anyone own one of these grills, and if so how do you like it? They seem pretty pricey, but the guy that was trying to sell it to me told me it was the greatest grill/smoker around.

They are pricey but awesome. I've been trying to justify the costs for many years, maybe some year I'll get one.

Txclosetgrower said:
Is it like a ceramic smoker or something? What makes it so awesome?

I believe thats exactly what it is, and that it can also be used as a regular grill too.

Txclosetgrower said:
Is it like a ceramic smoker or something? What makes it so awesome?

I think its because it use's less fuel to cook with & keeps most of the moisture inside to give ya nice an moist grill foods.

The BGE is the deal. My buddy has one and we have used it to cook everything from pulled pork to shrimp to burgers, etc. We have also used it in the Charlotte BBQ cookoff. I too am at the point where I want one so bad but it's tough to justify the cost. They are well worth every penny, though.

What makes them really special is heat control and range of heat. We cooked the pulled pork at 210 for about 12 hours and never had to adjust the heat until the one time toward the end when we added a few briquettes. You can also get heat from all the way up to 700 in the bllink of an eye (okay a kind of slow blinkk, but its fast (like a marsupial!))

I had found one on Craigslist at one point for about 300 so keep your eyes peeled and you might find a deal.

How much do these things cost?

You can still get a Weber Kettle, one of the classics for under $100. You're going to have to go a long ways to beat that one for that kind of money.

The large ranges in at around $800. It's a ton for sure. But I re-iterate ,I have, in all 42 years, never cooked on anything like it. Also real nice to have a friend that owns aone! You know the old saying "It's better to have a friend with a (pool, boat, trampoline) than to own one yourself!".

I have used one. It did well, but I don't like the fact that the food is always directly over the heat. No chance of cold smoking.

It is great in every other way.

I just got a bag of "big green egg" lump charcoal and will try it out on the smoker this weekend. Apparently its made by Royal oak so I don't expect any real difference

Hello,

New member here.

Potawie, I think we’ve crossed paths over on the GW Pepper Forum.

As for the BGE, as kids say today, it’s the bomb (apparently a good thing LOL).

I purchased a large four years ago. Loved it so much I purchased a companion small two years ago.

First, if you’re interested in cold smoking, buy something else.

If you’re interested in grilling, searing, hot smoking, you can’t find anything else that does it all in one package.

I’ve seared and cooked steaks at 1000F+; roasted beef, pork and chicken at 350F and slow smoked pork buts at 200F for 24 hours. Oh ya, you can grill burgers and dogs as well. Lump charcoal and hickory smoked pizza is amazing. You can get accessories for indirect cooking.

I know from past GW posts you are in the Ottawa area. One benefit southerners won’t point out is that you can roast a turkey or beef roast over the coals at 325-350F in -40F outside temps. You can’t do that on a metal thing that leaks more heat than it retains at lower temps. Seriously, these puppies retain heat at an amazingly consistent temp and burn lump at a conservative rate.

If you are really interested in checking them out, send me an email. I’m in the Kanata area and can have you over for a pint and a BGE trial! If you are going to make the leap without a trial, there are two places in Ottawa that sell them. I’ve bought off of both and recommend the one on Carling IMO.

Let me know,

Bill

I have a friend down the road who is going to lend me his BGE to try out. He said the top was slightly damaged in a twister so its not perfectly air tight anymore but still functional. Worth trying out anyways, but maybe I'll still come by for a beer and a bbq:)
Oh ya, welcome to THP O.P.

LOL POTAWIE

Sure, beer and bbq sounds good.

Although the Egg can do minus 10, 20, 30, 40... I'm getting to whimpy to do it.

Let's get together in the spring. Let us know how you make out with the friends egg.

Bill

I'm actually thinking about making my own BGE. The key is the clay used to make them and how thick the thing is. Other than that it's just a matter of making sure the top and bottom align perfectly and cutting a large enough square at the bottom and leaving a vent hole at the top. Since I can make just about anything on a ceramic wheel (don't laugh ceramic wheels can be a freaky sex toy like used in Ghost) it's just a matter of getting the right clay and thickness and overfiring the clay so it will maintain the temperture perfectly. Currently most of my projects get fired in a kiln at 2350, but for the BGE project I want to go as high as 2450 so the clay is over vitrified. Total cost of the project should be around $50.00 for the clay and a few extra to add handles. I've used them before and they are great at maintining heat, but a little small to do large things on. I'm looking at one made just big enough to do a 12 lb turkey on.

BGEdiagram.gif

Back