• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics BigT 1st Naga harvest - a few pics

It was time to pick a few as they were seriously outnumbering me. I only have one Bih Jolokia plant and I got 74 ripe pods off it with at least that many still on it and not quite ready. A very impressive plant. If you are only going to grow one Naga and want a bunch of pods, I think this is the one. Seeds from Neil at Hippy.

Bih Jolokia
minibihjolokiaaug520091.jpg

My most productive Naga's were all in a 7 gallon pot, although 1 Bhut in a 5 gallon came close to what the 7 gallon did on initial harvest. Here are the Bhuts, 4 plants - a total of 32 pods. Best was 15 off the 7gal. These plants just aren't doing that great IMO, although the pods are by far the coolest looking. Bumpy, gnarly and twisted, they are evil and big. Sadly I had to chuck at least 10 pods suffering from Blossom End Rot and other maladies. They are very slow to ripen and many that I picked still had green ends and have been on the plant a long time. All four plants still have many all green pods, but not in the quantity of the Bih or Dorsets. Bhuts seem to be finicky as to what they like and I haven't found the sweet spot yet to make them happy. Generally, they look pretty decent and bushy, maybe they are just late bloomers, we'll see.

Bhut Jolokia - seeds from Hotpeppa
minibhutsaug52009.jpg

The Dorset Naga is Mr Consistency as 3 plants did 93 pods with many more than that still on the plants. They did 47, 24 and 22 with the 7 gallon container the leader. Very consistent pod shape, much like the Bih and unlike the Bhut. I do have one Dorset that seems to be a genetic freak with very busy nodes and noticeably smaller and longer pods for the most part. Not as big a plant as the other two, but still plenty of pods. I have a picture of it's crazy node on another thread. http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=13072

Dorset Naga - seeds from The Hippy Seed Company
minidorsetnagasaug52009.jpg

Here's a group pic as they are ready for the dehydrator. I cut a slit in the Naga pods to help with drying (as per Potawie's advice) but otherwise left them whole. Ditto for the Fatalii's used to fill up the tray. The few Red Savinas on the tray I sliced in half.

Dorsets & Bhuts on top trays. Bihs, Fataliis, Red Savinas and a few Bhuts on bottom trays.
mininagadryingaug5009.jpg

Nice Tony...very nice...I think you will find that in the fall the Nagas/Bhuts will produce a lot more....or at least that has been my experience...

nice looking pods !

the bhuts are very slow growing / ripening indeed...

i am amazed at how many pods you are getting off the BiH, very nice !

as P just said, what are your plans with all that hotness ?

I see lots of Jolokia powder in your future Tony. Nice harvest of some great pods. You need to eat a whole Bhut with a spagetti dinner. Nothing will be that hot you cannot handle it after the 7 Pod experience.:lol:

Thanks guys, the plan eventually is to make a bunch of powder. Or just use the dried pods in cooking. The storage aspect of dried pods is most appealing to me. I have a few friends that want pods too, and that's an easy way to give it to them because immediate consumption is not required. Stinking up my whole garage right now and I can smell them from 50 feet away outside. The Nagas seem to be much more fragrant than the 7 Pots, but there are more of them drying too.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I see lots of Jolokia powder in your future Tony. Nice harvest of some great pods. You need to eat a whole Bhut with a spagetti dinner. Nothing will be that hot you cannot handle it after the 7 Pod experience.:lol:

They are definitely not as hot as 7's IMO. 7's are like colon cleanser for me, those bad boys are ruff. I'm sure I'll be trying Bhut in spaghetti soon. Especially as the weather gets cooler.

Very large beautiful haul of flaming treasure bigt!!! :cheers:

I agree, the Bih/Morichs are extremely prolific.

I'd be interested in knowing how long it takes those whole pods to fully dry and at what temps.

Silver_Surfer said:
Very large beautiful haul of flaming treasure bigt!!! :cheers:

I agree, the Bih/Morichs are extremely prolific.

I'd be interested in knowing how long it takes those whole pods to fully dry and at what temps.

I'll keep you posted, I have them on 125F right now.

UPDATE: I put a timer on them to shut off after bedtime - 12 hours total so far and only about 1/3 of them were dry. All the Red Savinas which were cut in half were done. I think that fact that they were out in the garage, in the humidity, added to the time. They are in my laundry room now, going to leave them on for a few more hours while I go to work. Hopefully that will knock out the rest, especially since it's a lot less crowded on the trays now.

UPDATE 2: I dried them for another two hours and pulled out some more. Then another 2 hours and more came out. Finally, 2 more hours to get the last of them - I was down to one tray in the machine at the end. The whole pods with slits in them took the longest. Keeping them whole let me jam more in there so it was probably worth the trade off.

Another harvest - not Nagas. Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Here's what I harvested around 8am: 59 Cappy 7 Pot "brain strain" from two plants, 55 Fatalii from two plants, 28 Fatabanero from 1 plant and 28 Chocolate Habanero from two plants. All are currently in the dehydrator and should be done by tonight.

harvestaug10sm.jpg

Need to pick more Nagas tomorrow, along with some Red Savinas, Jamaican & Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnets and maybe a dozen ripe 7 Pot Jonahs.

Really nice harvest you got Tony. I don't think I have harvested that many 7 Pods at one time before, actually I know I haven't. The mother 7 is still alive and pushing out new pods all the time but never in that quantity. Thanks for helping keep the brain strain growing strong bigT!

cmpman1974 said:
Wow, you're having one hell of a season BigT. Congrats.

Chris

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice to see the pretty pods rolling in bigt. Your fireworks have begun an explosive show. :)

Thanks Chris and SS! Things are going well so far. It's way more work than I'm used to staying on top of this large group. Less plants next year, I swear.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Really nice harvest you got Tony. I don't think I have harvested that many 7 Pods at one time before, actually I know I haven't. The mother 7 is still alive and pushing out new pods all the time but never in that quantity. Thanks for helping keep the brain strain growing strong bigT!

Hey Cappy, you'll always be the man! Those 7 Pots are really strong though, amazing plants. Gotta feed them again soon. Picked some more stuff this morning. 36 Bhuts from 3 plants, 59 Dorsets from 3 plants, 13 7 Pot Jonahs from one plant, 14 Manzano Reds from two plants and 48 Red Savina Habs from 2 plants. Dehydrator working 2 days in a row now and I couldn't fit any of the Dorsets in so I need to get more tomorrow and crank it up again. The Bih has some ready and the Jamaican SB as well. I'm running out of containers to store the dried pods. Paper bags, here I come.

Here's a bad picture of the 7 Pot Jonahs. (scoville seeds) Didn't realize I had the camera on the wrong setting until it was too late. Damn scroll wheels. These Jonahs are the largest pods I've ever seen. Not quite as hot as the "Brain Strain", but they have more mass and still outdo a Bhut in heat.
harvestaug10019jonahs.jpg

bigt said:
I only have one Bih Jolokia plant and I got 74 ripe pods off it with at least that many still on it and not quite ready. A very impressive plant. If you are only going to grow one Naga and want a bunch of pods, I think this is the one. Seeds from Neil at Hippy.

As I understand, Hippy's Bih Jolokia is the true Indian Assam seed, rather than the New Mexico strain, which has become more commonly called Bhut.

Beyond Pod Quantity of fruit, have you discovered any other differences between growing New Mexico Bhut and Assam Bih?

Thanks!

A lot of nice pods there Tony.
Less plants next year? Yea right, hahha. It is crazy because the more varieties you grow the more you like. There are so many varieties that there are always new ones to try. So you end up with an ever growing list of plants you must grow again and plants you must try. It would be nice to be rich, have several acres, and all day long to play around in them.

BigT your plants keep this up you're going to have to go into wholesaling peppers! The numbers you're pulling are crazy! Go man go!!

SanSoo said:
As I understand, Hippy's Bih Jolokia is the true Indian Assam seed, rather than the New Mexico strain, which has become more commonly called Bhut.

Beyond Pod Quantity of fruit, have you discovered any other differences between growing New Mexico Bhut and Assam Bih?

Thanks!

My Bhuts came from THP member hotpepper who said they were sourced directly from India. All 3 varieties look different to me as you can clearly see from the pics above. Bhuts most gnarly and irregular, and biggest. Dorsets most wedge shaped. Bihs most consistent. The taste is similar so far, but I have yet to really critically compare, I've been too overwhelmed with pods in general. The Bih is the most prolific so far.

Josh said:
A lot of nice pods there Tony.
Less plants next year? Yea right, hahha. It is crazy because the more varieties you grow the more you like. There are so many varieties that there are always new ones to try. So you end up with an ever growing list of plants you must grow again and plants you must try. It would be nice to be rich, have several acres, and all day long to play around in them.

Josh, I have the acreage, I'm lucky in that respect, though most of it is woods. I just don't have the desire to plant anymore than what I've already done. I have the desire to plant less! :lol: Some plants won't be renewed, and most multiples will be cut back to one. 3 or 4 new ones next year will be plenty. This year, I got the superhot bug out of my system. The "brain strain" made me realize very quickly I can't handle it.

patrick said:
BigT your plants keep this up you're going to have to go into wholesaling peppers! The numbers you're pulling are crazy! Go man go!!

Selling is a pain! Don't have the time. But thanks for the compliment! Today I pulled 129 Purple Tigers, another 34 off the Bih, 4 Bhuts, another 17 off the two Cappy "brain stains", 20 more Fataliis off two plants, 6 Fatabaneros and 4 more Jonah. Here's the complete 2009 pod total so far. Man, I'm tired. I'm blaming Cappy and Pro-Mix! :lol:

20090812podcounttotalpi.jpg

Back