• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics BigT Plant Pics 2011

I started all my Chinense seeds on January 15th this year. Earliest start ever, but it seems to be worth it so far. Here's what the seedlings looked like on Feb 1st. I used Wonder soil - it expanded right out of the holes but it worked great - very quick root growth. I started other types in late February - Jalapeno, Cayenne and Fresno.

Here are some underneath a computer desk with a 125watt CFL on March 1st. I left the light on 24/7 for the 1st 45 days or so. At this stage they got a few very dilute feedings of Neptune's Harvest Organic Fish/Seaweed Blend Fertilizer 2-3-1. (as recommended by Master Grower Cappy aka PRF) :cool:

Here's what a few looked like on May 12th - starting to get a few pellets of Osmocote 14-14-14 in a one gallon container. Be very careful with this stuff - it works great and is easy, but it will burn if in direct contact with the roots right after transplant.

Giant Bhuts

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow & 7 Pot "Primo"

Here they are this morning, June 17th, after a few thunderstorms rolled through last night. A mix of new plants and some over wintered.

The Fatalii on the far left is from 2010.

Two Giant Jalapeno plants in the long box. A 7 Pot "Jonah" from 2009 on their right. Just to the right of that is a Serrano that was mangled by my cat when it was a seedling and is starting to come back. I have one other Serrano that is my best ever with pods galore already. 5 Tomato plants in back on the right. Behind the Jals are a couple of over wintered Orange Habs and a Fatalii from 2010. Just left of the Jonah is a 2009 Dorset Naga.

The two best plants for me so far are:

-this Chocolate Bhut in a 5 gallon container is almost 3 feet from the ground and seems to be growing about 1 inch/day.

and this 7 Pot "Primo" in a 7 gallon container is by far the largest plant I've ever had in mid June. Admittedly, the weather here in the mid Atlantic has been fantastic so far. All these plants are in a mixture of new and old Pro-Mix BX and plain peat from Premier with a little added perlite to the peat. About 2 tablespoons of Osmocote 14-14-14 mixed thoroughly in each container.

- I'll try to post more pics in July once the pods get going good.

Awesome BiG T. Your forest of heat is kicking in. Sure you'll have a few more of those Sam Adams after all that work. :beer:

Nice looking plants.

The ones in the last picture that you have in the long window style planter, will you leave them in that? Or will you be repoting them?

I ask because I have a bunch of them that I use for herbs and flowers, but never thought they would be deep enough for a pepper. If they are that just adds a new place for me to plant next year.

Nice looking plants.

The ones in the last picture that you have in the long window style planter, will you leave them in that? Or will you be repoting them?

I ask because I have a bunch of them that I use for herbs and flowers, but never thought they would be deep enough for a pepper. If they are that just adds a new place for me to plant next year.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I use those long planters just for C. Annuum (usually Jalapeno or Fresno) - they seem to do OK in there if you stay with two plants - I've tried 3 w less impressive results. The roots will grow sideways and expand laterally. It helps if you really fill it up right to the top with soil. C Chinense definitely like more space and I only grow them in a 5 gallon or larger. The C. Annuum do quite well in a 4 gallon too.

Plants are looking good, glad to see those giant bhuts are doing well. How many of them did you end up keeping? I recall you saying you had some great germination rates.

Plants are looking good, glad to see those giant bhuts are doing well. How many of them did you end up keeping? I recall you saying you had some great germination rates.

I planted 13 Giant Bhut seeds and all 13 came up and stayed healthy - good genetics there Jeremy! I gave some away and sold some on craigslist to try and recover my Pro-Mix expense. I have 5 left right now. They have been slow to make pods but I'm finally starting to see a few now. I'm hoping they grow true to the pods you sent me - those were the most incredible Bhut pods I've ever seen. Many thanks.

nice looking chiles and great varieties. good luck with the rest of the season.

Thanks! I'll get more pics up soon with some pods.

I planted 13 Giant Bhut seeds and all 13 came up and stayed healthy - good genetics there Jeremy! I gave some away and sold some on craigslist to try and recover my Pro-Mix expense. I have 5 left right now. They have been slow to make pods but I'm finally starting to see a few now. I'm hoping they grow true to the pods you sent me - those were the most incredible Bhut pods I've ever seen. Many thanks.

They were the slowest growers for me last year until they hit a certain point and then BAM, they took off and become some of my fastest growing heaviest producing plants. I'm using seed stock from the same harvest of peppers I sent you last year so my fingers are crossed that they grow true too. Looking forward to seeing how your plants turn out for you this year.

:cheers:

Jeremy - Here's my best Giant Bhut plant now. It has good foliage and is starting to spread pretty wide. I may have to add branch support in the future.

It has only one significant pod right now, but plenty more on the way. If the pods turn out like the ones you gave me, I'll be ecstatic.

That's awesome that it's taking off for you. Some of my early pods were curved like the one in your picture last year too. You guys saw the pods, let's hope that's what we get this year :woohoo: Keep the updates coming, I'll try and do the same :lol:

Back