• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics BigT plant pics

Thought I'd share my progress this year with some plant updates. These shots were taken this morning in the harsh light, but at least the sun is out. It's rained every day for two weeks at some point and the ground is saturated. Half my boysenberry tree fell over because it got too heavy. I should have had it cut back a while ago, but too late now. But anyway, here are some pics. Almost all the plants are doing great after surviving aphids and poor growing skill back in February and March.

The group catching the morning rays in front of the garage, the white door gives some extra bounce back light:
mini20090612grouppic.jpg

One of two Cappy 7 Pots, this is the larger one in a 7 gallon:
mini20090612cappy7pot.jpg

Biker Billy Jalapeno, this plant is doing very well and is twice as big already as my overwintered Jalapenos, but they were in a smaller growing container and this is in a 5 gallon:
mini20090612bikerbillyj.jpg

The downed tree - I was really lucky it missed the house. No damage whatsoever.
minipicture001.jpg

Back to business. :) Jamaican Scotch Bonnet - seeds from hixs. This is one of my tallest plants, almost 3 feet from the ground, soil height is probably 10 inches.
mini20090612jamaicansco.jpg

My tallest plant is 3 feet from the ground, a Bishops Crown (seeds from Hippy). It's in the back of this pic. Just to it's right in back is a Dorset Naga(seeds from Hippy). A couple of Bhuts(seeds from Hotpeppa) in front on the left, a bell pepper plant and the edge of a tomato plant on the right.
mini20090612bishopscrow.jpg

caroltlw said:
What's that beanstalk on the left side??

Haha - it's not really a beanstalk, but it does have this one branch/shoot that is really tall. It's an overwintered Manzano Red on it's 3rd year. The rest of the plant is kind of normal and it really cranks out some pods. Has some flowers at the very top, but I'm in no hurry to pollinate.

FiveStar said:
OMG! MONSTERS!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!

Damn BigT, those plants look extremely nice. I'm very jealous!

Thanks - this is my best year by far and I've learned more in 6 months on this forum than what I knew before in growing for over 12 years.

....3 more

My biggest Bhut(hotpeppa), it's fighting the Bih(Hippy) for largest Naga. And I also have a Dorset Naga(Hippy) not far behind. All in 7 gallon.
mini20090612biggestbhut.jpg

Chocolate Habanero in a 5 gallon, seeds originally from Redwood City a few years ago. This will be the biggest one I've ever had. Planted in March, it loved my 125w CFL. It's got a little leaf curl like they always seem to have for me early, but other than that seems happy.
minibiggestchocolatehab.jpg

Purple Tiger (seeds from Hippy) - what a gorgeous plant this is. This picture really doesn't do it justice. I have no clue what they taste like, but I should find out soon, it's making pods.
mini20090612purpletiger.jpg

Very healthy plant all over Tony. I see that you are liking the Pro-mix, the stuff just grows big plants if you know what to feed them. Are you using the Espoma's Tomato Tone? I'm thinking of buying a bag this weekend and I remember you mentioning that before. Job well done.

...last 3 for now.

My best Fatalii(seeds from Cappy) at the moment, in a 5 gallon. Planted in early March, it's slightly ahead of another Fatalii (seeds from scoville) that I planted in early January. The earlier Fataliis had to battle my poor rockwool skills and more aphids. I gained a lot of knowledge in those early months of the year and it really helped. Kudos to all the really sharp expert growers on this forum.
mini20090612bestfatalii.jpg

My Bih Jolokia(Hippy) in a 7 gallon next to a Cappy 7 Pot. This Bih is looking like it's going to be huge. New growth shooting out everywhere and it seems like it grows in height an inch a day. I'm pretty sure it will be top Naga, but we'll see.
mini20090612bihjolokia.jpg

Red Savina Habanero(Hotpeppa) has recently taken off as well. Planted in February, it took a while but it now is finally happy. Patience is required with peppers.
mini20090612redsavhaban.jpg

That's it for now, more updates later when I finally get some pods!

Looks great t. The 7 pot looks dangerous!

I noticed that your plants have very few, if any, "bug holes". Have the aphids and the like been pretty mild in your neck of the woods?

caroltlw said:
Oooh, you can stuff the Bishops Crowns with Nagas and cheese. Lots of cheese.

LOL Carol, I love your attitude! I am already looking forward to some Bishops Crown poppers, but I don't know about the Naga stuffing. :) Nagas have already garnered my respect, but i have yet to have any fresh.

lee said:
Looking good!, like the pics.

Thanks much Lee!

POTAWIE said:
Plants are looking big and green, nice!

Thanks Potawie, you have helped me a ton man.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Very healthy plant all over Tony. I see that you are liking the Pro-mix, the stuff just grows big plants if you know what to feed them. Are you using the Espoma's Tomato Tone? I'm thinking of buying a bag this weekend and I remember you mentioning that before. Job well done.

Thanks Cappy, I also owe you for a lot of the success this year. You were the early inspiration for getting Pro-Mix after I saw all your plants pics from last year. Most of my 5 gallon stuff is in straight Pro-Mix with just Osmocote. But all of my big Nagas in 7 gallon pots and your 7 Pots are in a Pro-Mix/Pro-Moss combo with Tomato Tone, a little garden lime and some added perlite. They seem to be really loving it so far. My Purple Tiger, Chocolate Habanero and a couple of your Fatalii's(the one pictured) are also in that mix and are happy. Pro-Mix and Pro-Moss are both worth every penny IMO. I only used the lime in the Pro-Moss combo mix.

PeteyPepper said:
Looks great t. The 7 pot looks dangerous!

I noticed that your plants have very few, if any, "bug holes". Have the aphids and the like been pretty mild in your neck of the woods?

Thanks Petey, you have a great looking Naga yourself, I have nothing that tall. Haven't had any aphid problems since I finally killed them all in April before the plants went outside. Safer Soap daily was my main weapon with the occasional Neem application. A couple of bugs here and there outside, but nothing serious. Most of my leaf damage is from wind, even with the plants staying close to the garage to mitigate the effects somewhat. I stay on the lookout for any Hornworm caterpillars though because they can bring a plant down quick. I hope my 2 tomato plants don't attract them but so far, so good.

Looking fantastic bigt! It's obvious you've put in the time and effort.

I'm thinking you could give AJ a run for the money. Best of luck to ya!

Great looking plants Tony...very healthy looking...

I understand about the purple tiger...I grew them last year and they were absolutely gorgeous plants...loved the varigation...the peppers will be fairly smallish and will turn red when ripe...I ate one and was not impressed with the taste at all...tasted like dirt to me...

patrick said:
Looking fantastic bigt! It's obvious you've put in the time and effort.

I'm thinking you could give AJ a run for the money. Best of luck to ya!

LOL - I'm not giving AJ a run for the money ever. He's Pro, I'm amateur. Thanks for the kind words though.

Josh said:
All around great plants Tony.

Silver_Surfer said:
Extremely healthy beautiful plants bigt. Way to grow! :cool:

lavish said:
Lovely plants, looking healthy as can be!

Thanks for the positive comments. Good growing to all!

AlabamaJack said:
Great looking plants Tony...very healthy looking...

I understand about the purple tiger...I grew them last year and they were absolutely gorgeous plants...loved the varigation...the peppers will be fairly smallish and will turn red when ripe...I ate one and was not impressed with the taste at all...tasted like dirt to me...

Thanks AJ. I wasn't getting my hopes up for great flavor out of the PT, but I was hoping for better than "dirt". ROFL Maybe it will make good powder?

bigt said:
Thanks AJ. I wasn't getting my hopes up for great flavor out of the PT, but I was hoping for better than "dirt". ROFL Maybe it will make good powder?

well, I suppose you could make a powder...but I don't know how you would hide the taste of it ;) ...the taste is one reason I am not growing them this year...I am reworking my flower beds in the front of the house and the wife said I could put some in "her" flower beds...they truly are gorgeous plants...

Back