• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bihsop Crown? baloon or christmas bell er other?

got this pepper plant:

IMG_5689.jpg

not to very spicy but i love the shape.

can you help me ID it?

i will have seed to share later on so i need to know the name

Thanks

Pods Certainly looks like Bishops Crown but thats a very small plant so I'm not 100% sure. My plants are well over 2.20m

well here i bought that in a market and we are in norther america with a small summer season so this could be it.

if i look at other website it enters in the similar pepper like Christmas Bell pepper.
very tasty and the heat is more located near the center... all the outer ring region is sweet and tasty :)

Thanks for the info. im pretty sure you rright

I'm growing some bishops crown myself and that's what they look like to me. Mine are sweet in the lobes and all the heat is pretty much in the placenta. I use them all the time in my milder salsas.

I grew Balloon pepper that looked like that, but Bishops crown looks identical!
I wonder if they are the same pepper with different names.

Kevin

There are so many names for this variety PI 497974

Check out all the different names
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=PI+497974&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

here is a pic of my 2 year old chapeu de frade, seeds were purchased from greta's organic gardens out of ottawa. there are so many takes on this pepper unless it came from a certified supplier, it could be anyone of the listed. i would stick with bishop crown unless you are promoting it in quebec then go with the chapeu naming convention.

what is surprising with this pepper is the pod starts out so small and you think it is going to deliver small pods, then wham, they balloon out.

(behind the pods are dundicut)

HPIM1983.jpg

My Balloon peppers were Annuums not Baccatums-no gold specks in the buds...
Bishops Crown,Bishops Hat,Jokers hat,Starfish etc. were Baccatums if I remember right

Seeing a post on poppers is the whole reason for growing, my garden has been poor so far due to heat and humidity, so those were small. I have some now maturing of gigantic proportions that will stuffed appropriately and eaten!!!

dried and ground the powder it has a very nice and sweet taste(you would swear it had some suger added to it) lovely stuff

Back