• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Billy Boy Strain, Video Review

Whats up fellow chili heads. I have the unique opportunity to review a pretty bad a$$ pepper, the Billy Boy. I have both the Douglah and the Jonah and since last years debacle, I am gonna bust out the Douglah this evening.

I have gathered that it was founded by a member here, bentlephanard, but I would love some background as to how it came about. I had reached out to a few on here, but I really wanna do it in the next few hours, so any quick help would be awesome.

Thanks!
Matt

Whats up fellow chili heads. I have the unique opportunity to review a pretty bad a$$ pepper, the Billy Boy. I have both the Douglah and the Jonah and since last years debacle, I am gonna bust out the Douglah this evening.

I have gathered that it was founded by a member here, bentlephanard, but I would love some background as to how it came about. I had reached out to a few on here, but I really wanna do it in the next few hours, so any quick help would be awesome.

Thanks!
Matt

bentalphanerd

Yeah, bentalphanerd mentioned something about getting the douglah from a mate called 'BB', and cloned one plant and gave it to Neil at THSC.

That's all I know, I think it was mentioned in his 300 douglah plant out last year thread.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23837-so-i-bought/

http://youtu.be/MouruvmMSFU

Watch in HD!

So, this one was my White Whale. I am super excited to finally get my hands on it, and it couldn't come at a better time. Last season I did a review on a pod that I thought was a BB, however, the heat was just not there, and it didn't look anything like the pod. This one is a bit of pepper history. In a time when we have tons of crazy variations that seemingly pop up overnight, this I guess, could be considered one of the original "Pop ups".

Ok, time for a bit of pepper history. These Trinidad strains didn't just "make" there way over to the states...they were brought over by a chili grower named Sara. That is why you sometimes see the SR designator next to the pepper name (e.g. 7 Pot SR). The Billy Boy strain was one of those original strains. Sara brought over the Douglah variety, and Bent (an Aussie chiligrower), had one single, solitary seed. He managed to get that one seed to germinate, and grow to a mature plant. His buddy, Billy Boy, took a cutting of the original plant, and BAM! Billy Boy strain was born. These were shared among the OZ growers and a few growers from the states (Cappy). Anyways, this pod is extremely rare, and it is tough to find an ACTUAL BB strain. There are a bunch of fakes out there, and I have definitely got the real deal.

On Taste. I was bracing myself for a this one. I really didn't know what to expect. It was very similar to last night's This one had a very good taste, which I was not expecting. Thin skinned, light, floral. It was pretty quickly gone, as soon as the capsaicin kicked in, the taste took a backseat. I guess I have to rethink my Douglah taste aversion....

On Heat. First off, it wasn't as hot as expected. I think that it may have been starting to get really ripe; it is extremely difficult to keep the Douglah variety from going over since it is so thin skinned. But that had little effect, it was still a scorcher. It attacked the tongue, which was different from all the other Douglahs I have ever had. It lasted for about 5 mins, and then slowly cooled down. It wasn't the hottest, I would probably place it a tic below the Scorp and Douglah cross from last night. It had that bite, but wasn't as intense on the muscles.

Overall. This is a must grow in my book. It is one of the originals, it has crazy pod variation, and it has a great taste and crazy taste. I would love to pull one of these pods off the plant and pop one, gotta be amazing! Thanks again SS for hookin it up!

Check out SS's GLog http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30214-silver-surfers-2012-season-shots/

My GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27401-mgold86s-glog-of-sorts-new-7-pot-brown-review/page__st__560#entry663811

Back