• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bird pepper(s)?

I am thoroughly confused. I have seen so many varieties referred to as bird peppers, which I suppose makes sense given *any* of the small peppers can and will be eaten by birds, but I was wondering in the interest of being correct if bird pepper refers to a specific type or variety of pepper.

On the topic, does anyone have opinions as to which of the little buggers (bird pepper or not) is most flavorful and/or hottest? I know I should also look into wilds for this, but given how many there are I'm kind of overwhelmed by the options.

Wild Brazil,Cumari Polux,Cumari Do Passarinho,Wiri Wiri are some of the top best for flavor and heat
if you ever tasted one of these you would form your own opinion real fast :lol: :)

thanks your friend Joe

I am thoroughly confused. I have seen so many varieties referred to as bird peppers, which I suppose makes sense given *any* of the small peppers can and will be eaten by birds, but I was wondering in the interest of being correct if bird pepper refers to a specific type or variety of pepper.

On the topic, does anyone have opinions as to which of the little buggers (bird pepper or not) is most flavorful and/or hottest? I know I should also look into wilds for this, but given how many there are I'm kind of overwhelmed by the options.
The only "bird pepper" that I'm familiar with is the chile pequin. Having lived in Brownsville, Tx. for a number of years, the bushes grew wild and they were quite abundant. In fact, I had a few in my backyard (I certainly do miss them)..The pepper is about the size of your pinky nail but don't let that fool you - they're not far below the habanero when it comes to heat..

Wild Brazil,Cumari Polux,Cumari Do Passarinho,Wiri Wiri are some of the top best for flavor and heat
if you ever tasted one of these you would form your own opinion real fast :lol: :)

thanks your friend Joe

The only "bird pepper" that I'm familiar with is the chile pequin. Having lived in Brownsville, Tx. for a number of years, the bushes grew wild and they were quite abundant. In fact, I had a few in my backyard (I certainly do miss them)..The pepper is about the size of your pinky nail but don't let that fool you - they're not far below the habanero when it comes to heat..

Thanks! Yeah, I had a Tepin growing this year but it never did too much... used the last of those peppers making cookies tonight :lol: Sometimes the international foods store will have little bags of dried Pequins, which I usually keep around for anytime a recipe calls for pepper flakes.

Bird peppers are peppers that easily tear or fall off the plant and pods/seeds get spread by birds. Before human interference, I believe all chiles were like this

i think they call them bird peppers bcz birds eat them and help spread them

Bird peppers are peppers that easily tear or fall off the plant and pods/seeds get spread by birds. Before human interference, I believe all chiles were like this

Okay... so when I see a listing that says something along the lines of, "Bird pepper, hottest pepper on the planet!!!!" they're not only wrong, they're being fairly ambiguous in doing so.

"Bird Pepper" is a common name given to many different chiles from many different locations. It usually refers to a small piquin/tepin/chiltepin pod type.

It seems most "Bird Peppers" are annuums or frutescens.

I have a type of frutescens from Mexico that is full of flavor and really packs a punch! It is quite small and I only use them as powder.

Down here in S Texas the mockingbirds move the peppers
Around eating the pods and pooping them out. Very common in the Rio Grande Valley.

There are some serious pequin growers on here. Hopng one in particular chimes in. He has grown many, many different kinds of pequins.

Down here in S Texas the mockingbirds move the peppers
Around eating the pods and pooping them out. Very common in the Rio Grande Valley.

There are some serious pequin growers on here. Hopng one in particular chimes in. He has grown many, many different kinds of pequins.

I love pequins. I threw together a trail mix of nuts and pequins, my office-mates think I'm crazy.

Put in an order for some Cumari varieties, but I have not encountered a place that sells Wiri Wiri... is there a reliable source for these?

I'm reviving this old thread because I tasted a yellow (orange) brazil bird pepper today that was amazing. not very hot but fruity..

The one on the bottom left was awesome...anyone know what it was?

Pic
IMG_20120803_113716.jpg

Back