• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor "Bitter aftertaste" of Bell Peppers?

The white membrane in a bell pepper is normally referred to as the pith...that's the term used when cleaning and slicing one in the "kitchen"

Most bell peppers start out on the plant either light or dark green..there are a few exceptions, though. Most are bitter tasting at that point, but are harvested for both marketing and shelf life purposes.

All bell peppers will ripen to their mature color which nowadays can be a rainbow of such. Higher vitamon C levels occur when the pepper is at full ripened stage.

I only use Green Bell peppers within a cooking process (chili, omelets, sausage and peppers..etc). As far as stuffed bell peppers...I grow and use the 4 lobed Cal Wonders. They stand up in the roaster. It also helps to blanch them in water, that will cut down the cooking time. An hr in the ov is long for any ground meat, unless its a 2lb meatloaf. Cutting a slit in the bottom before stuffing with let any liquid drain out rather than pool...such as fat from ground meat. The flavor should come from the other ingredients.

If you want to avoid bitter tasting strips or rings of raw green peppers throw a bit of salt on them to highlight the true pepper flavor.

ChilliJez said:
3-isobutyl-2-methoxypyrazine is a compound associated with the green bell pepper flavour and also under-ripe stalky, vegetal flavours in some wines.
It's quite a pronounced taste and I think some people could call it bitter. FWIW.

I realise this may not be quite boring enough. If so, check this;
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/food.19950390111/abstract

enjoy! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article I always wondered why I wasn't up for bells.

PIC 1 said:
The white membrane in a bell pepper is normally referred to as the pith...that's the term used when cleaning and slicing one in the "kitchen"

In a kitchen, you say? Honestly, I can't see that.

Did you remove the pith?
Peppers don't have pits.
No the pith!
Peppers don't have pits!
That's it... I quith!

The Hot Pepper said:

In a kitchen, you say? Honestly, I can't see that.

Did you remove the pith?
Peppers don't have pits.
No the pith!
Peppers don't have pits!
That's it... I quith!
Pookie, are you drunk again?

aHa........seriously, it's called pith.

Kitchen ...meaning resturant.

Term used when squareing off a bell pepper (slicing off top and bottom).."knocking off the pith".
I'd remove ends of peppers, then using a paring knife to quickly clean off the inside membrane/pith. Common practice done before cutting pepper into rings for salads or strips for the pan.
On the other hand the seed package and surrounding membrane in a hot pepper is referred to as the placenta. But you already know that...THP

Back