Bizarre Curling

Howdy folks!

So I've been growing a bunch of pepper plants this year, but I've got two that have me totally stumped. Check these out:

HoqtYWo.jpg

The one on the left is a rocoto, and the one on the right is a red bell pepper. They have been getting the same feeding and the same treatment as their neighboring plants, all which look fantastic and large, but these two just curled up into oblivion and refuse to straighten out. I'm not sure what the deal is with them but I'm about ready to give up on them and throw em' in the trash.

I've tried treating with CalMag, tried letting them dry out and giving them limited water, tried light fertilizer. Nothing seems to change their weird-ass curling.

mpicante said:
Looks like mites to me.May want to inspect and spray.

It just seems odd since these plants have all been exclusively grown indoors, and it only attacked these two of the bunch - none of the others. Could it really be mites?

Very possible.I've seen quite a few plants that look like yours in the pics.If these happen to be spider mites a good neem oil product will take care of the situation broad mites a little different.There's a product called Mite-X that works really well.Better safe than sorry.You could remove affected leaves and see how the plants respond.

Broad mites are my pick ... Wettable sulphur is my go to for them. Try giving them 2 sprays of wettable sulphur (both on the underside and top of the leaves over the whole plant) 14 days apart in the cool of the day.
Give them a 1/2 strength feed of nutes every week during this treatment.
Then order some beneficial insects for mite control to release on about day 14 after the second spraying ... This will ensure a continued control without need for further spraying.
Spray the plants with seaweed/Kelp spray and fulvic acid every 2 weeks from there on out and see how you go

Separate those plants from the rest- whether it is disease or pests, you don't want to spread that around. I'd put my money on mites if anything. Follow Trippa's advice! 

Coup said:

It just seems odd since these plants have all been exclusively grown indoors, and it only attacked these two of the bunch - none of the others. Could it really be mites?

The first broad mites I ever got, I got them while my plants were inside over winter.
Go figure. 

Well I gave the plants an inspection with my magnifying glass and saw nothing unusual under or on the leaves. Weird. So, I just stuck them outdoors since the weather is nice and figure I'd let them sort it out themselves!

Back