Bizarre Foods - Eastern Australia

last night on the travel channel was Bizarre Foods in Eastern Australia. Here is a link to everywhere he went and what he ate:

Eastern Australia

Now I know we have some Australians on here and was just wondering if any of you have eaten what he had. Andrew (host) likes everything and was wondering are these foods really that good? Do locals actually eat this? The one I'm most curious about is the Vegemite Mos the way he made it sound was that Australians start feeding this to their kids right after birth. That basically everyone eats Vegemite. Is this true or not?

Vegemite is well-liked in Australia and abhorred in most other parts of the world :) . This is mostly because foreigners who try it spread that shit on like jam... when really you're only supposed to put a thin, sparse layer on toast. It tastes like absolute ass if you get a big chunk of it, but spread out nice and thin it has a great salty tang to it.

Do not underestimate EVER, the substance that is VEGEMITE!

Besides it has yeast and so does beer, cased solved.

Novacastrian said:
Do not underestimate EVER, the substance that is VEGEMITE!

Besides it has yeast and so does beer, cased solved.

i believe he said it was actually a bi-product of beer making.

the other thing i wanted to know was: Andrew said you can't go to Sydney without stopping at Harry's Cafe de Wheels and having a Tiger Pie. Said it is a must and everyone does it. Have any of you had one or is this just a 'tourist' thing that brochures say to do?

That Vegemite sounds a bit similar to that "Vitam R" yeast extract I liked as a kid. You also spread it very thin on bread or season your soups or sauces with it. I think I'm gonna try Vegemite. There are some internet shops in Germany selling it.

peter pepper said:
the other thing i wanted to know was: Andrew said you can't go to Sydney without stopping at Harry's Cafe de Wheels and having a Tiger Pie. Said it is a must and everyone does it. Have any of you had one or is this just a 'tourist' thing that brochures say to do?

I've been to Sydney a couple of times and never been there, it does seem to get a lot of publicity though.

Armadillo said:
That Vegemite sounds a bit similar to that "Vitam R" yeast extract I liked as a kid. You also spread it very thin on bread or season your soups or sauces with it. I think I'm gonna try Vegemite. There are some internet shops in Germany selling it.

It is a great spread for your toast and such like, similar to Promite and Marmite.

It only needs to be spread thin to enjoy like the photo shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

peter pepper said:

I have had a pie from there.......Oh My God.....There stuff is sex covered in pastry that tastes like better sex!!!!!!!!!!

We have a Harry's Cafe de wheels in Newcastle which is about 2 hours North of Sydney.......and I go there every chance I get....

And as for Vegemite, I have it so thick, you can't see the toast....Or i heat up a slice of bread in the microwave and spread the vegemite on that.......mmmmmmmmm....bloody lovely.

Proper Vegemite is made by Kraft, and is done thinly spread on warm butered toast. It's Tops then. LOOOVE it.

A diff. taste than the UK's Marmite too.

Nice mixed with currants/rasains and PB too..but I'm weird. ;)

I'm gona make NagaVegemite someday... ;)

I bet Tony05 & Stillz...could do it, as he has the brew stuffz and the naga's.
Hey, Mick..you guys DO make NagaMite..remember I said it first!

QuadShotz said:
Proper Vegemite is made by Kraft, and is done thinly spread on warm butered toast. It's Tops then. LOOOVE it.

Not just Different but BETTER.....and yeah it's a Kraft product....I've been eating the stuff for 30 years...

peter pepper said:
i believe he said it was actually a bi-product of beer making.

I live in Sydney, I have never been to the one here !
I say Steakk & Mushroom from Scottish Fair in Stmarys Sydney, make the BEST pie !

Armadillo said:
I googled and wikipediaed a bit and found out that some people are even drilling for Vegemite!:lol:
:rofl:

QuadShotz said:

Nice mixed with currants/rasains and PB too..but I'm weird. ;)

I'm gona make NagaVegemite someday... ;)

I bet Tony05 & Stillz...could do it, as he has the brew stuffz and the naga's.
Hey, Mick..you guys DO make NagaMite..remember I said it first!

It has such a unique taste , you either love it or hate it ! And there is NO ALTERNATIVE to KRAFT - everything else is bad. !lol

moyboy said:
Not just Different but BETTER.....and yeah it's a Kraft product....I've been eating the stuff for 30 years...

Im going on 28 and I have eatten it nearly everyday for breakfast, with my bowl of weetbix !

CM

Yeah, get a pie at Harry's at 2am, head back up to the Cross, go to the late show at Les Girls, then have breakfast at Sweet Hearts. Is it still there?

Oh, and BTW, dont get smart with the cops, they're more like an organised gang in Kings Cross, they will pick a fight to arrest someone rather than create peace.

As for Vegemite, all that's been said is true, we are bred on the stuff here (generally) and the key is to put it on thin. When younger, I used to love playing a joke on all the international exchange students, by offering them some, and they'd grab a spoon scoop up a heap like it was PB or Natella (hazelnut spread) and suck it down, and then spit it out.

Great facial expressions!

On a side note, in some ways it's preferable to give kids this as it's full of Vit B (i think) and wont lead them to develop an overly strong sweet tooth. Let the Weetbix do that, coz the only way to eat that stuff is with heaps of sugar!

You can also use vegemite in stocks, soups and gravy.

Back