• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

black cayenne?

so i bough what i was told were cayenne seeds, the pods look like cayenne and are the right size, but now are ripening and are turning black instead of red. could this be another pepper?

just realized this was in the wrong section, sory ;)

I was at the Swapmeet and they were selling em what they called Chile Negro I think it must be the same thing, they are somewhat hot but not too much

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a black variety. I just recently learned there is brown and golden cayenne, so black certainly seems possible

Sounds pretty awesome whatever it is, take a pic and post it... and let me know what you're going to do with the seeds!

Give them time and see if they end up red. It is very unusual for a pepper to remain black into maturity. The only exception I can think of from the top of my head is Pimenta da Neyde.

There are cayenne-types that go through a black stage, but it could also be "suntan". I've grown a fair few cayenne-types that are prone to it. Is the whole pod turning black or just the sides that face the sun?

the tri color cayenne type that i offer goes through a black stage before ripening to red there is a few species that do

thanks your friend joe

Give them time and see if they end up red. It is very unusual for a pepper to remain black into maturity. The only exception I can think of from the top of my head is Pimenta da Neyde.

There are cayenne-types that go through a black stage, but it could also be "suntan". I've grown a fair few cayenne-types that are prone to it. Is the whole pod turning black or just the sides that face the sun?

the green that is left does seem to be in a more shaded position. i will just be patient to see if they turn red. if it is suntan will that have any affect on the ripened pepper?

Shouldn't have any effect. The black should change to red like normal. Lighter coloured pods, like yellow ones, it can leave a bit of a stain though.....

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7885.jpg

I like to think the "tan" makes 'em tastier and hotter as it's a sure sign they are getting heaps of sun.... but I am probably just making things up in my head! :lol:

+1
Anthocyanin sun-tan turns pod/stems purple/black to protect from stron UV rays. Pods should still ripen to red (or whatever) and should not affect the taste or anything

I've wondered about this. Are the purple varieties just prone to suntan? just some of them? none?

Meaning if you grow a "purple" variety in a very low light setting, or perhaps completely shade the pod and leave the leaves in full sun, would it turn out all albino and freaky? or even ripen at all?

Sounds like an experiment.

edit: By completely shade I mean enclose it in pitch black. I bet some smart cookie knows the role of light on pod development.

Yes, some plants are more prone to sun-tan, especially ornamental types with purple pods stems and leaves. These varieties are often called black or purple but they don't ripen that color

Back