• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black Chilli Plant

Hi all and thanks for the welcome

This is my first time being on a list like this so forgive me if I make a few mistakes at first...ie, where I should post my messages etc...
The Black plant I have had now for 2 years, Its been growing in a 300mm pot in an organic potting mix. I got it from my mother in law when she started a small vege patch at my place when she came to stay for a few months from Thailand, she got it form a friend when she ask some Thai people here in Australia if they had some seeds or plants she could have to start her garden and now I have it, I don't know if she got it as a plant or seed.
The chilli fruit grows about 5cm x 1.5cm tapering to a point, upright standing in groups of 3 to 5, they start out black changing to a deep red on maturing, I would rate them a 7/10 in heat and they are very sweet with a apricot after taste.
It is a very fast growing bushy plant about 50cm in height, new shoots start out dark green with purple veins rapidly darkening to black, still the underside stays dark green. The size of the mature leaves are approx 8.5cm x 3.5cm
The flower has 6 petals, is a deep purple with a slight bit of white in the centre, I've just cut about 40 good size chillis from this plant and it is flowering again now with a few chillis just appearing, I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them, (how do I posts pics to the list?). This is the first time I have taken seeds from this plant so if anyone wants to do a swap.
Now perhaps I can pick a few brains, Does anyone have any info, web sites or ideas on making a Green House or perhaps where I may purchase a second hand or maybe a new one from here in Australia, the size I will be looking for is approx 12ft x 24ft or there abouts.

regards Grant

I made a hoop house off of these plans last winter.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

The doors were the part of their plan that gets very hand wavy, and I ended up hanging sheets of plastic over an extra hoop at each end.

HoopHouse4050.jpg

I also used spring clamps to hold the plastic to the PVC.

Oh yeah,I forgot, sorry, to post photos you need to select a photo hosting site like flickr or photobucket and load your pictures there. Then use the image code in the message here to show the pictures.

Pam said:
I made a hoop house off of these plans last winter.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

The doors were the part of their plan that gets very hand wavy, and I ended up hanging sheets of plastic over an extra hoop at each end.

HoopHouse4050.jpg

I also used spring clamps to hold the plastic to the PVC.

Hey Pam,

was the purpose of the green house to extend your growing season ? How warm did it get inside the greenhouse ?

And would you keep the plants inside it for the summer ?

really curious about it, sorry for all the q's...

just interested in making one as well...;)

Hi Pam
Thanks for the pic of your GreenHouse and the link to the web site, thats something like I was thinking about, also what size is it?

It was an experiment to extend the growing season and to see if I could over winter some plants. It would get pretty hot on sunny days, but the heat dropped quickly at night. I tried putting lights on the plants to hold the temp above freezing, and I put black buckets and spray painted black soda bottles of water in to help hold the heat, but if the temps went down into the mid to low 20's, I had to use a space heater to keep it warm.

So, a nice season extender, but too expensive for me to heat all winter. I put it up again this fall, but we had one of the coldest Novembers on record this year, and the plants all died quickly.

JungleRain said:
Hi Pam
Thanks for the pic of your GreenHouse and the link to the web site, thats something like I was thinking about, also what size is it?

Mine was built to the directions in the link, so it was 10 ft X 21 ft. You can't really make it wider without destabilizing it, but you could make it was long as you wanted by adding PVC ribs every 3 feet. Finding a plastic cover much longer than that would be difficult, though, and you might do better to make 2 shorter ones than one really, really long one.

JungleRain said:
Hey Hotpeppa'
Luv the pic of the dog, is it yours? (argentino dogo?)
later Grant

Hey Grant,

thanks dude.. yeah it sure is a dogo..lol

what do you have ?

anyone who can identify that dog must be a dog lover and have some of his own..lol

Pam said:
It was an experiment to extend the growing season and to see if I could over winter some plants. It would get pretty hot on sunny days, but the heat dropped quickly at night. I tried putting lights on the plants to hold the temp above freezing, and I put black buckets and spray painted black soda bottles of water in to help hold the heat, but if the temps went down into the mid to low 20's, I had to use a space heater to keep it warm.

So, a nice season extender, but too expensive for me to heat all winter. I put it up again this fall, but we had one of the coldest Novembers on record this year, and the plants all died quickly.

do you think it was worth the trouble ?

Hotpeppa said:
Hey Grant,

thanks dude.. yeah it sure is a dogo..lol

what do you have ?

anyone who can identify that dog must be a dog lover and have some of his own..lol
Luv them dogs man, can't get them hear in Australia, I've always had Dobermann's

Here are a few pics of my Black plant as I promised, The green leaves are new growth as they mature they turn black on the top but stay the same on the underside,I'll send some more when the chillis ripen again.

IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg

Dobermans are awesome dogs as well... i wanted to get one but i have too many dogs and not enough space..

nice plants by the way..lol

Hotpeppa said:
do you think it was worth the trouble ?

*shrug*

It was fun, but the expense of keeping it warm on bitter cold nights makes it impractical. I did have a lot of very early peppers from some of the plants that survived, and the pilange that survived turned into a monster. I swear, it never had less than a hundred peppers at a time on it all summer. The Bhut Jolokia that survived was cranking out peppers, too, far more than I got the first year off of it.

Still, for me, it's not practical. I may set it up to help extend my season, but I won't heat it again.

Pam said:
I may set it up to help extend my season, but I won't heat it again.

:idea: Charcoal (or wool coals if you have a fire pit) in a portable-type BBQ works well. Keeps the frost away for about 4 hours at a time with temps here as low as 20F. My greenhouse is smaller though.

Those look like Explosive Ember. I grew it last year. I wish I had picks of mine to compare because I couldn't find any decent ones on the web.
But you could be right about a hybrid of some kind.

Back