food Black Eyed Peas

Ever since I was a wee boy I remember Black Eyed Peas were always on the menu for New Years Day . They were supposed to bring you good luck over the next year. It worked sometimes in my life , others years eating a rabbit's foot along with the Black Eyed Peas won't have helped.

I'm guessing this is a just a Southern thing but I'm not sure. For years I done this tradition. Maybe not how Granny and Mom did it , but I've done it. So I use dried Blk Eyed Peas , the left over sugar cured ham chunks from the Christmas ham to add flavor. I also use things like bell pepper , yellow onions , celery , Jolly Penos for heat , garlic , and cajun style spices. Maybe other things I can't remember in this dazed moment. Then you have to have Corn Bread and slices of Red Onion...

I love what I've always done but would like to hear how others do this style of simple ... tasty , very home style dish. T. B . and AJ in my thinking might have a way a byte different. I'd like get get out of my "box" a little. But I know I don't want to do curry or some Caribbean thing .

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

It sounds as if you are requesting recipes from TB and AJ, but I'll share with you what has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember and it is quiet easy.

THIS IS A COLD BEAN SALAD
1 can of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 small red onion, diced
Couple 'pinches' fresh chopped Parsley
1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing
Salt and pepper to taste

Sometimes we add Garbanzo Beans and Dark kidney Beans to the mix.

*I have also been know to add chopped up hot peppers to spice up this quick salad, but most of my family won't eat it then.

Dried black-eyed peas
Ham bone or "ham hock"
water
salt
pepper

Add all ingredients....cook all day.

Serve with beer, your fav hot sauce, and corncakes....maybe some diced onion and chow-chow!

Well this is totally a random recipie am gonna suggest but it will taste nice..
Black eyed peas
1 yellow onion diced
pancetta or cubed bacon
Mushrooms sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 scotch bonnet
1/4 pint chicken stock
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tomatoes diced
salt+peppr
2 bags rice or two portion
2 rings of pineapple diced

sautee onions,bacon,mushrooms garlic and chilli. Add beans tomatoe ,salt ,pepper,
add stock and pineapple and simmer
part cook rice for 9 mins then add to the same pan as the peas then cook out until stock absorbed..
enjoy this yumminess with some plantin sliced and fryed...nice

Dude... got something for ya...

Southern Falafels
(This is my Southern take on the falafel, with corn fritters instead of falafel balls, and black-eyed pea hummus.)

Black Eyed Pea Hummus

1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium bulb garlic
1/4 cup onion, diced
15 ounces black-eyed peas (cooked, drained)
Half of a lemon
1 teaspon chili powder
Black pepper
Sea salt

Roast the garlic and squeeze into the blender.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil and slightly caramelize the onion. Dump in the blender.

Add the peas, chili powder, and the remaining olive oil. Squeeze the lemon in.

Puree until smooth. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Mix with spoon.

Corn Fritters

Fry up some corn fritters with bits of diced jalapeno in the corn bread.

Serve

Serve corn fritters in a pita with the hummus smeared on one side of the pita with shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, pickles, and hot sauce on top.

Happy New Year!

THP ,

That's interesting. I'll try that another time for sure. I make hummus quite often and black eyed peas would be neat to try. I've made fritters from black eyed peas.

Peace & Happy New Years to all ,
P. Dreadie

THP i think i am gonna have a go at that recipie as well but i may add some more garlic!! to keep away those vampires! bo hahahahaha

Back